WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We are dedicated to our local communities and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, program and construction management professionals.
We design lasting solutions in the Property & Buildings, Transportation & Infrastructure, Environment, Industry, Resources (including Mining and Oil & Gas) and Power & Energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services.
With 7,000 talented people in 60 offices across the UK and Ireland, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.
Archaeology and Heritage Team at WSP is quickly becoming one of the largest heritage consultancies in the country. It works across the UK and occasionally overseas, and covers all aspects of the historic environment (archaeology, built heritage, setting and design). It has recently won a number of major infrastructure projects.
The appointment of a Senior Consultant is key to our heritage team’s development and will require the combination of technical expertise and knowledge of archaeology and heritage with commercial and business acumen.
As a Senior Consultant you will be expected to task manage and lead heritage projects from planning and other consent applications, deliver for EIAs and bespoke archaeological strategies and works for developments and infrastructure. We are particularly interested in candidates that have experience of working on Smart Motorway Projects and other highway schemes, as well as good field work experience including putting together mitigation strategies and WSI’s and monitoring and managing fieldwork programmes.
Preferably, you will have a specialism, skill or area of knowledge that contributes to the development of the team and our wider business. Working together with our new Technical Director and the heritage team you will contribute to the strategic development of our developing service line.
- Archaeological fieldwork management
- Preparation of Written Schemes of Investigation for fieldwork, archaeological and cultural heritage desk-based assessment, DMRB assessments, ES chapters, heritage statements, walk-over surveys, heritage constraint mapping, historic building assessment.
- All employees shall familiarise themselves with our health and safety arrangements and guidance relevant to themselves and their activities and shall meet any specific duties for their role as detailed within GNHS020 – Competencies, Roles and Responsibilities. This document is available to all employees through our company intranet and is accessible from your first day with the company
- BA/BSc Degree in Archaeology
- Relevant postgraduate qualification
- Associate/Member of the Chartered Institute for Archaeology (MCIfA)
- Professional archaeological report writing
- Competitive tendering
- Technical report quality assurance
- Stakeholder and client liaison
- Archaeological fieldwork
Knowledge and Skills
- Experience of working on Smart Motorway Projects and other large highway schemes
- Robust knowledge of UK archaeology and history
- Full knowledge of the planning process (including EIA) and fully conversant with the relevant environmental / heritage legislation and guidance
- Proven ability to undertake archaeological assessments using bespoke and industry standard methodologies
- Excellent writing skills
- Full Drivers’ Licence
- Strong technical knowledge and skills within a particular area of expertise
If you wish to apply for this position please email your CV and cover letter to Rachel.Finn@wsp.com
- Good communicator and team player
- Highly motivated
- Conscientious and efficient approach to work