The Archaeology and Heritage Team at WSP is quickly becoming one of the largest heritage consultancies in the country. It works across the UK and occasionally overseas, and covers all aspects of the historic environment (archaeology, built heritage, setting and design). It has recently won a number of major infrastructure projects.
WSP is looking to recruit an Assistant Consultant for its Archaeology and Heritage Team. Whilst you will have good basic knowledge of England’s built heritage, heritage landscapes, the historic environment, setting and design, this is essentially a trainee position, with on-the-job training in historic buildings consultancy, building recording, research, report writing, and site inspection. There are excellent long term career prospects within the team for the right candidate.
The applicant will need a good technical knowledge of historic buildings, an understanding of and relevant legislation and planning policy, and in particular best practice and guidance on the assessment of the setting of heritage assets. You will need to be familiar with Word, and be able to pick up complex computer programmes (eg GIS and potentially AutoCAD). You will also have practical experience of archaeological building recording, investigation and research. You will be highly motived, wiling to learn, with a conscientious and efficient approach to work. We are also looking for someone with excellent written and verbal communication skills who will thrive with the challenges of working in a busy consultancy environment.
The contract is initially for six months, working primarily on building recording and input into technical documents as part of the HS2 Northern Section Enabling Works Programme. The work will require travel in the South Midlands and regular visits to record offices and for site based buildings assessment. Depending on progress and workload, the contract will be extended and may well become permanent.
• Archaeological standing building recording
• Preparation of desk-based studies including heritage statements / historic building assessments and ES chapters covering built heritage and setting. This will include documentary and cartographic research and site inspection.
• Archaeological standing building recording (Historic England survey levels 1 to 4)
• All employees shall familiarise themselves with our health and safety arrangements and guidance relevant to themselves and their activities and shall meet any specific duties for their role as detailed within GNHS020 – Competencies, Roles and Responsibilities. This document is available to all employees through our company intranet and is accessible from your first day with the company.
QUALIFICATIONS AND WORK EXPERIENCE
• BA/BSc Degree in Archaeology, History, building surveying or relevant subject
• Relevant postgraduate qualification
• Associate/Member of the Chartered Institute for Archaeology (MCIfA)
• Member of the Institute for Historic Building Conservation (IHBC)
• Member of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB)
• Experience of historic building research and recording
• Experience of working in an office environment
• Experience of professional heritage report writing (eg desk-based assessment, heritage statements)
• Experience of archaeological fieldwork
Knowledge and Skills
• Good technical knowledge of historic buildings, in particular the vernacular buildings of the English Midlands and North West, including timber-framed buildings etc. and historic landscapes, including designed landscapes
• Understanding of Historic England guidance on the setting of heritage assets
• Understanding of the planning process in respect of cultural heritage
• Working familiarity of Microsoft Word
• Computer literate: able to pick up complex computer programmes (eg ArcGIS)
• Excellent writing skills
• Full Drivers’ Licence
• Use of ArcGIS
• Use of AutoCAD
• Understanding of legislative and planning background for heritage in England
• Good communicator and team player
• Highly motivated and willing to learn
• Willing to travel to various sites and record offices throughout England
• Conscientious and efficient approach to work
• Able to meet deadlines and budget within a busy consultancy environment
A little about us:
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We are dedicated to our local communities and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, program and construction management professionals.
We design lasting solutions in the Property & Buildings, Transportation & Infrastructure, Environment, Industry, Resources (including Mining and Oil & Gas) and Power & Energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services.
With 7,000 talented people in 60 offices across the UK and Ireland, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.
To apply for this role please email your cover letter and CV to Jennifer.Cowley@wsp.com