Salary: Geoarchaeologists from £20,000 to £20,500 (dependent on experience); Senior Geoarchaeologists from £24,400 to £26,500 (dependent on experience)
Location: London (for work in London and surrounding counties)
MOLA are looking for suitably qualified Geoarchaeologists to work from our London office.
This will be an opportunity to work on a wide variety of project types and tasks, including on-site and off-site geoarchaeological work. The role is varied and will include a number of practical tasks ranging from auger and borehole work, advising and sampling on archaeological sites to off-site lab work, report writing, and deposit modelling.
The successful candidate will also be meticulous in their work approach, a natural problem solver and be interested in developing methodologies. You will already be familiar/competent with archaeological sites, floodplain alluvial environments, sedimentary sampling and description, report writing, and Excel with knowledge of ARCGIS / Rockworks programmes desirable.
Applicants should ideally have at least three months UK commercial archaeology experience. Relevant European commercial experience will also be considered and we welcome applications from EU Citizens. All applicants must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions, and proof of eligibility will be required prior to commencement. Candidates should demonstrate an ability to work well within large teams and have a flexible approach to deployment. CSCS card holders are preferred however, we can arrange and pay for the test if necessary. Please note: the CSCS test stations are exclusively located in the UK.
- Understanding of British Quaternary stratigraphy
- Understanding of the techniques of past environment reconstruction
- Understanding of landscape processes and the principles of sediment deposition and soil formation
- Experience of archaeological fieldwork in the UK
- Experience or interest in associated environmental proxy analysis techniques (Senior Geoarchaeologists)
- Ability to write WSIs (Senior Geoarchaeologists)
- Ability to provide costings for tenders (Senior Geoarchaeologists)
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to use own initiative
- Ability to work positively as part of team
- Demonstrable written and oral communication skills
- Degree in archaeology, geoarchaeology or related discipline, e.g. geomorphology, geography, quaternary science
- Geoarchaeological fieldwork and report writing
- Experience of supervising archaeological projects
- Experience of preparing desk-based assessments and client reports
- Post-excavation assessment and analysis experience
- Knowledge of the archaeology of London and southern England
- Understanding of construction processes
We offer a range of benefits to our employees including the following:
We are committed to mentoring and training staff at all levels in order to develop individual capability and enhance career prospects.
- Proficiency based pay progression
- 22 days annual leave (plus bank holidays), rising based on service length
- Company pension scheme
- Health care cash plan (including dependent children)
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Full payment of relevant professional membership fees
- Cycle Scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Season interest-free travel loan
- Free access to many of London’s museums and galleries
Further Information and To Apply
For more information and to apply, please refer to the application form and relevant job description at http://www.mola.org.uk/about-us/careers. Applications without an application form will not be considered.
Applications should be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org .
The closing date for the vacancy is 1st October 2017 at 23:59.
Early applications are advised as interviews will be held throughout the application process.
MOLA promotes diversity and equality of opportunity at all levels, and welcomes applications from people regardless of sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, age, or religion or belief.