As Principal Consultant (Built Heritage) you will be responsible for the management and delivery of complex infrastructure and development projects in respect of built heritage and setting. The role is key to our heritage team’s development and will require the combination of high level technical expertise and knowledge of archaeology and heritage with commercial and business acumen.
As a Principal you will have expert technical knowledge of historic buildings, an understanding of and relevant legislation and planning policy, and in particular best practice and guidance on the assessment of the setting of heritage assets. You will be expected to lead our most complex and challenging projects from planning and other consent applications in respect of built heritage, and deliver for EIAs and bespoke strategies and works for developments and infrastructure. Much of your work will need to be able to withstand the test of public inquiry. Preferably, you will have a specialism, skill or area of knowledge that contributes to the development of the team and our wider business. Working together with the heritage team you will contribute to the strategic development of our heritage services.
You will be highly motived with a conscientious and efficient approach to work. Not only will you have a track record of successful project delivery, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to develop and maintain excellent relationships with a range of clients and peers, you will have the drive and imagination to identify and pursue business development and marketing opportunities.
Initially, you may be involved in the HS2 Northern Section Enabling Works Programme.
- Management of heritage statements / historic building assessments, setting studies, and ES chapters covering built heritage and setting. walkover surveys
- Management of subcontractors engaged in archaeological building recording (Historic England survey levels 1 to 4)
- Line management
- Business development skills including proposal writing and client management.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- BA/BSc Degree in Archaeology, History, building surveying or relevant subject
- Professional report writing
- Experience of historic building research and recording (eg desk-based assessment, heritage statements)
- Extensive project management (project, financial and staff management)
- Competitive tendering
- Technical report quality assurance
- Stakeholder and client liaison
- Good technical knowledge of historic buildings, in particular the vernacular buildings and timber-framed buildings etc. and historic landscapes, including designed landscapes
- Understanding of Historic England guidance on the setting of heritage assets
- Understanding of the planning process in respect of cultural heritage
- Full knowledge of the planning process (including EIA) and fully conversant with the relevant environmental / heritage legislation and guidance
- Working familiarity of Microsoft Word
- Computer literate: able to pick up complex computer programmes (eg ArcGIS)
- Full Drivers’ Licence
- Excellent writing skills
- Good communicator and team player
- Highly motivated
- Conscientious and efficient approach to work
- Able to meet deadlines and budget within a busy consultancy environment
The following would be advantages:
- Relevant postgraduate qualification
- Associate/Member of the Chartered Institute for Archaeology (MCIfA)
- Member of the Institute for Historic Building Conservation (IHBC)
- Member of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB)
- Archaeological standing building recording
A little about us:
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.
Check out www.wsp.com for more info about the great work we do.
To apply for this role please email your cover letter and CV to email@example.com
Please note your application must include a statement of how you meet each of the essential and desirable criteria.