Oxford Archaeology is one of the largest independent archaeological practices in Europe. Our size and reputation ensures that we work on the most exciting and varied range of projects, and can offer real opportunities for long term employment and career development.
At the 2016 CIfA Conference our Graduate Trainee programme was Highly Commended in the Archaeology Training Forum Awards. We have inducted over 100 trainees into the programme since early 2014, and many of them are still working for us, now as experienced excavators and supervisors.
OA East continues to expand and so we are looking for staff to join our field teams at all levels. We have field projects underway that mean we can already offer work in both Cambridgeshire and Norfolk throughout much of 2018. We are therefore particularly interested in candidates located in these areas. We also have other excavations elsewhere in the eastern region. We can therefore offer work for both home and 'away' deployments depending on location and preference. The projects include work on rural Romano-British and Saxon occupation sites and on rural medieval industry.
We operate a policy of single rooms for all away-based staff.
What we offer:
- A degree in archaeology, or equivalent academic knowledge and practical ability
- A full clean driving licence is desirable
For further details of the Training Programme and Career Path please visit our website
- A documented training programme
- Mentoring and assessment by experienced OA field staff
- A structured, supported route to membership of CIfA at PCIfA level
Successful candidates will be offered a 12 week contract (37.5 hours per week) on the starting salary level, with a twelve week extension, at the higher salary level (subject to availability of work) to allow completion of the Training Programme. Staff who successfully complete the scheme will, subject to the availability of work, be offered permanent contracts at Archaeologist level.
- Salary range £16,391 - £17,373.
- 32 days holiday (including statutory holidays and concessionary days at Christmas).
- Company pension scheme.
- Training including placements, and opportunities for career progression.
- 100% of CIfA subscription fees.
- Free transport from regional offices to sites.
- High quality personal protective equipment (inc. full breathable waterproofs, fleece etc).
- Subsistence payment (£15 per night) and free accommodation (B and B / self-catering) provided for away-based projects. No sharing - single rooms only.
- Childcare vouchers.
- Cycle to work scheme.
If you would like to be part of a respected and established organisation, please apply by completing an application form, available from:
Alternatively, you can post your completed application form to:
Closing Date: Sunday 4 March 2018. Applications will be considered on receipt.
Oxford Archaeology is an Equal Opportunities employer. All applications are judged on the relevant skills and experience of the candidate, and not by gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, belief, age, nationality (other than where work permits may be required), or ethnicity. You must meet the requirements to live and work in the UK by UK Visas and Immigration.
Due to the anticipated high volume of interest, it may not be possible for us to respond to all
applicants. If you have not heard from us four weeks after the closing date, please consider that your application has been unsuccessful in this instance.
Registered Charity No. 285627; Company Registration No. 1618597