The Archaeology and Heritage Team at WSP is quickly becoming one of the largest heritage consultancies in the country. It works across the UK and occasionally overseas, and covers all aspects of the historic environment (archaeology, built heritage, setting and design).
WSP is looking to recruit an Assistant Consultant or Consultant, the position is within the South Team, which covers the South of England and Midlands, based in the Devonshire Square office, near Liverpool Street Station.
You will need a good understanding of the archaeology of the South of England, excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a conscientious and efficient approach to work. You will need some archaeological fieldwork experience, familiarity with Word, and be able to pick up complex computer programmes (eg GIS). You will be highly motived, wiling to learn, and will thrive in a pressured consultancy environment. In the first instance this role is fixed term for 12 months.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- BA Degree in Archaeology
- Relevant postgraduate qualification line
- Archaeological fieldwork experience
- Good broad understanding of the archaeology of Southern England from the prehistoric period to the 20th century.
- Excellent writing skills
- Working familiarity of Microsoft Word
- Computer literate: able to pick up complex computer programmes (eg ArcGIS)
- Highly motivated and willing to learn
- Conscientious and efficient approach to work
- Good communicator and team player
- Considerable experience in both research and writing Historic Environment / Archaeological Desk-Based Assessments (Consultant position)
The following is advantageous:
- Use of ArcGIS
- Use of CorelDraw for archaeological graphics
- Understanding of legislative and planning background for heritage in England
- Experience of working in an office environment
- Professional archaeological report writing experience (Assistant Consultant position)
- An understanding of built heritage and setting
A little about us:
We are one of the world’s leading engineering professional services consulting firms, helping create exciting and inspiring projects that help communities thrive.
We foster collaboration in everything we do, striving to leverage each other’s strengths across a network of experts, technical and non-technical, to exceed expectations together.
It matters to us that each of our colleagues comes to work every day with curiosity, drive and a sense of purpose. We are living proof that a stimulating, open working environment where everyone feels relevant, valued and supported is a catalyst for outstanding achievements.
Come and find out. www.wsp.com
To apply for this role please email your cover letter along with your CV to Rachel.Finn@wsp.com and ensure that you include a statement of how you meet each of the criteria above in your application. Candidates that are short listed for interview will be given a 60-minute written exercise to determine writing skills.