Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of our ideas.
You would be joining a team of heritage specialists that include: heritage managers, archaeologists, building archaeologists and cultural tourism consultants. We provide expert advice and planning services to clients throughout the world; working on highly sensitive and high-profile projects such as World Heritage Sites in the Middle East and large-scale infrastructure programmes in the UK. We have a growing reputation for innovation and engagement, particularly on large infrastructure programmes, such as HS2, for which we have undertaken a number of bespoke and specialist studies.
We are interested in finding the right candidate to fulfil a Senior Heritage Consultant role which is mainly focused on delivering archaeological advice across our UK and international projects. The right candidate will be innovative and imaginative in approaches to managing historic environment research, assessment, delivery and mitigation; combining a good level of technical expertise alongside good communication and liaison skills with project teams and clients.
Applicants with a background in archaeology and the historic environment that have a good understanding of their place within the UK planning system would be welcomed. If you enjoy working on a diverse range of projects and being part of a multi-disciplinary team within a large organisation, then we would be interested to hear from you.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
• Providing advice to a range of clients, internal teams on a diverse range of projects;
• Preparation of and contribution to environmental statements, heritage statements, desk-based assessments, written schemes of investigation and consent applications;
• Management of small to medium scale projects to ensure they are delivered on time and budget;
• A contribution of key technical expertise and knowledge to the team in order to maintain and improve the quality of our work and the expertise of our people;
• Working alongside and managing sub-consultants and archaeological contractors;
• Liaison with client teams;
• Sourcing new opportunities and providing a technical contribution to tenders.
As a Senior / Principal Heritage Consultant or Archaeologist, you would be expected to help deliver a range of complex and challenging projects, with a limited level of assistance and review from more senior members of the team. You should be able to demonstrate a range of experience within / or understanding of the wider heritage sector. You will be responsible for managing or being a technical lead for large-scale projects and therefore will be confident in delegating and directing a team to deliver a required product. You will need to be a team player and able to easily engage and communicate with others.
• A good first degree in archaeology or closely related discipline e.g. history/anthropology
• Relevant Masters level or higher qualification in archaeology or heritage management
• Full knowledge of the planning process (including EIA) and be fully conversant with the relevant environmental / heritage legislation and guidance
• Experience of delivering environmental impact assessments and supporting programmes for complex large infrastructure and/or major development schemes
• Robust knowledge of UK archaeology and history
• Willingness to work across the UK in client and Atkins’ offices as fits project requirements.
• Experience in a commercial consultancy environment
• UK driving licence.
• Full or Associate Member of the Institute for Archaeologists
• Willingness to work internationally.
The successful applicant will be expected to demonstrate the following:
• Strong technical knowledge and skills
• Excellent report writing skills
• Good communication skills
• Capable of working under pressure with the ability to meet critical deadlines
• Flexibility in approach to archaeological and heritage matters
• Willingness to learn and develop and to mentor others
Atkins develops individuals through the ‘My Career’ portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed by individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Atkins offers a range of benefits through the ‘My Rewards’ packages, which can be selected annually. Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying for this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held a security clearance.