AC archaeology is an established and well-respected medium-sized commercial archaeological contracting and consultancy organisation with offices near Salisbury, Wiltshire and Bradninch, Devon. We currently employ around 50 staff and carry out in excess of 300 projects a year, mainly located in Devon, Dorset, Wiltshire, Somerset and Cornwall, although we occasionally undertake consultancy and fieldwork across the country for our existing clients. We are currently looking to recruit a Project Officer for our Devon office and Graphics Officer based in Wiltshire.
Project Officer (Devon based)
The Project Officer will be responsible for the full range of fieldwork projects, along with associated post-excavation analysis and report writing. Candidates will have proven experience and will have good prioritising and organisational skills, with an ability to work to tight deadlines. Experience of historic building recording and assessment would be advantageous.
Essential skills for this post are:
Desirable skills would be:
- A degree/qualification in archaeology or related discipline
- A commensurate level of experience relevant to the post
- Membership of CIfA
- A valid CSCS card
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Current driving licence
- Experience of preparing a range of archaeological reports.
Graphics Officer (Wiltshire based)
- A relevant health and safety qualification (eg SSSTS/SMSTS)
- Experience of liaison with clients and local authority archaeologists
The post-holder will prepare digital graphics for a wide range of documents, including heritage statements, historic environment assessments, evaluation and excavation reports, project designs and publications. Candidates would be expected to produce illustrative material to meet strict project deadlines.
You will be expected to be conversant in CorelDraw, GIS and processing of GPS survey data, while previous use of CAD is desirable. Applicants preferably should have at least two years’ relevant graphics experience, while a background in field archaeology and/or archaeological surveying would be advantageous.
What we can offer you
- For the Project Officer, the opportunity to live and work in stunning Devon, with only a limited number of ‘away’ projects each year
- For the Graphics Officer, our Wiltshire office is located in a rural location in South Wiltshire, close to the county boundary with Dorset
- Opportunities for relevant training and career progression
- Workplace pension scheme with employer contribution currently 6%
- 28 annual leave days per year, rising to 31 after five years’ service; 33 after 10 years’
- Sick leave
- Paid travel when using your own vehicle
- Paid accommodation for away work
- Meal allowance for away work
- Good quality full PPE
- Free eye tests
- Financial assistance with re-location, if applicable.
If you wish to enter into a friendly busy environment, please e-mail your CV with covering letter stating which post you are applying for to John Valentin (firstname.lastname@example.org). Examples of previous relevant work would also be appreciated.
Please quote BAJR in your application.