An opportunity has arisen for two Project Trainees to join our award-winning training programme, initially on a three month, fixed-term basis, but with a view to conversion to Project Archaeologist following successful completion. The traineeships are designed to provide you with an understanding of the principles and practice of archaeological excavation and post-excavation reporting, to PCIfA level. Over the course of three months you will gain knowledge and experience in:the
• A variety of types of archaeological fieldwork
• Basic survey techniques and in the use of GPS
• Post-excavation reporting processes
• Preparation of illustrations using QGIS
• Finds handling, finds processing and basic finds identification
• Archive procedures and preparation
The post is based at our head office in Lincoln, and trainees will primarily be embedded in the teams at one of our two major excavation projects in Lincoln and East Yorkshire but with the opportunity to be involved in projects throughout England. The traineeship will involve some away work for which transport from our office and accommodation will be provided (Monday to Thursday only).
You will undertake basic fieldwork duties, including excavation and recording, on evaluation and excavation projects, under the direction of a Site Supervisor. Office based duties will entail processing of finds, data entry and archive preparation. Opportunities to assist with geophysical survey may be possible, depending on the on-going work programme and the interests of the individual. All duties will include on the job training with, and mentoring by, other members of staff, in accordance with your training plan.
• Basic knowledge of, and interest in, British archaeology
• A basic knowledge of archaeological field practices
• Enthusiasm and a willingness and ability to learn and take instruction
• Fit and capable of undertaking physical work
• Excellent team-working skills
• Basic computer literacy (MS Office packages)
• A courteous and professional manner
• Previous experience of UK commercial archaeology
To apply, please upload a full CV, details of two references and a covering letter through our on-line portal - we will not be accepting applications by e-mail.
References will not be approached without the permission of the candidate. Applicants should note that due to an anticipated high-level of response if you have not heard form us within two weeks after the closing date, you have not been successful on this occasion and we thank you for your application. Incomplete applications and those submitted after the closing date will not be accepted.
The closing date for the current recruitment programme is Friday 27th April at 16:00.
Allen Archaeology Limited is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity.