Ref: SALDO 05.18
Technician – Supervisor £18,900 - £24,233
Salary commensurate with skills and experience
Wessex Archaeology, operating throughout the UK, is the market leader in the provision of integrated archaeological and heritage management services to government, education and the private sector. As a registered Charity we aim to promote the advancement of education, the arts, culture, heritage and science.
The Wessex Archaeology Graphics Team, which comprises an exciting and innovative blend of archaeological illustrators and designers, provides a comprehensive and professional illustration, interpretation and design service whilst developing new and creative ways of visually presenting data.
We are seeking an archaeological illustrator to support our busy Southern Region. Based in our Salisbury office, they will provide graphics support for our fieldwork, heritage, geomatics and built heritage specialists. The successful candidate will be afforded the opportunity to work on a range of interesting and varied products including multimedia. Training and support will be provided by our Graphics Team to help develop existing skills and explore new methods and specialisms.
This role is offered as an office-based full-time appointment to our core team.
The successful candidate is expected to have an understanding of the professional standards required for archaeological illustration. They should have some experience of working in a professional, commercial environment. This position requires the following:
The behavioural attributes that we expect from you are:
- A basic working knowledge of AutoCAD and at least one other professional graphics package;
- The ability to demonstrate good graphic composition and layout skills, and provide evidence of preparing appropriate deliverables to the required standard;
- An ability to interpret and make value judgements on the importance and significance of archaeological data;
- The ability to advise project staff of the best methods to achieve the desired project aims where appropriate;
- An appropriate level of understanding to ensure that work assigned is carried out effectively and safely, and conforms to the company’s standards of quality;
- The ability to check, combine and clearly present pre and post-excavation data;
- The skills to prepare illustrations for client reports using supplied drawing briefs, and to liaise with other specialists where required;
- Some knowledge of video capture and editing an advantage.
You will be expected to be able to work independently when required and demonstrate a professional approach to work, colleagues, other professionals and clients.
- To have excellent communication skills which enable you to provide supervision and support to junior colleagues, under the direction of senior staff.
- To be optimistic and a positive influence, inspiring creativeness and innovation in others;
- To be enthusiastic and solution driven; and
- To work collegiately across all departments and regional offices.
Applicants are invited to submit a completed application form (available from the vacancies page on our website http://www.wessexarch.co.uk/vacancies) with a copy of their CV; and returned by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be received by close of business on Friday 8th June 2018. Candidates invited to an interview will be expected to present their portfolio. For more information about the post, please contact Karen Nichols, Graphics Manager – email@example.com
Whilst Wessex Archaeology welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, it is essential that all applicants must be either a British citizen, EU National or hold a full work visa and where appropriate be registered under the ‘Worker Registration Scheme’, or must hold a current work permit. Proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK will be required prior to commencement of employment.