Heritage Consultant (Terrestrial)
London or Peterborough
Job Reference - IB032
“We’ve been around for more than 135 years. We drive inclusive sustainable development with our clients in areas that we master and can actively influence. Our people are keen to positively change the future and leave a legacy. Our networked organisation of smart entrepreneurs connects the best and brightest people in the world. Together we have an ambition to run a financially healthy business by putting our collective intelligence into practice with clients and partners. We are commercial savvy engineers, project managers and consultants who design smart cities, airports, ports, buildings and more. We reinvent industries; co-create clean energy and fresh water by using smart data and digitizing information flows and models. More and more, we connect the digital with the real world in an accelerating pace. Working together with our clients and partners, we use data and algorithms to translate insights into foresights. We help our clients in their digital transformation and we support our clients’ business with better and faster execution of their ambitions.
Let’s enhance society together!”
We have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and experienced Heritage Consultant (Terrestrial) to join our Environmental team in London or Peterborough.
You will need to be an efficient worker and enjoy the challenge of a growth-orientated environment with the ability to work in a team and, at times, independently. The role will require close working with members of the heritage team, various environmental teams across the UK and in Europe, as well as with staff across other Business Lines. Willingness to contribute to multi-disciplinary teams will be key to the successful execution of the role. You will contribute proactively to ensure consulting services are consistently delivered to the highest standards, meeting and exceeding clients’ needs.
The position will be within a small but growing historic environment (heritage) team, as part of the wider multi-disciplinary environment team.
As an experienced heritage consultant you will be expected to undertake heritage statements, archaeological desk-based assessments, heritage settings assessment, conduct site visits and walkovers, monitor site works, prepare specifications and WSIs, and produce and compile historic environment (archaeology and cultural heritage) ES chapters associated with terrestrial elements of both large and small scale development planning projects.
Additionally the role will support promoting the heritage service offering, as and when required, via assistance with marketing materials and presentations to help ensure and maintain a continual turnover of heritage related work.
Project involvement typically includes renewables (onshore elements of offshore wind developments), waste to energy projects, flood alleviation schemes, mixed use development schemes, as well as industrial sites.
Your main areas of work are:-
- Heritage and archaeological consultancy;
- Heritage and archaeological elements of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and environmental appraisal;
- Supporting the delivery of developments and projects within the UK Consent and Planning system;
- Overseeing heritage and archaeological investigations, monitoring, data analysis and assessment; and
- General support to the heritage lead, other heritage team members, the wider environment team and company as a whole.
- Bachelors (essential) and Masters degree (desirable) in archaeology and/or archaeology combined with another related discipline
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in heritage consultancy
- High standard heritage consultancy skills (including experience with heritage settings assessments). Working at or working towards a more senior level
- Good understanding of heritage legislation, the EIA process, UK planning and permitting systems and relevant government policy
- Excellent written and verbal communication, organisational, analytical and time management skills
- Excellent computer and numeracy skills, including working knowledge of GIS and its application in heritage assessment
- Good understanding of the principles of robust project and task management (including financial), ensuring effective execution, where applicable under a Project Manager, in line with Project Management guidelines and Management System procedures;
- Developing network across relevant industry sectors, including both clients and relevant regulators;
- A proactive outlook, and the ability to work constructively on own initiative and within a team;
- Focused, articulate and professional in appearance and standard of work;
- Commercial understanding and an interest in securing new business;
- Confidence at the client-interface; and
- Willingness to travel, including possibly to international destinations
- CIfA membership, at a minimum of ACIfA level or above
- An understanding of and experience with built heritage issues and historic building recording approaches
- Experience of supporting the consenting of onshore infrastructure projects related to offshore wind developments, waste to energy projects, flood alleviation schemes, mixed use development schemes and industrial sites, as well as post-consent processes and overseeing of condition/requirement discharging
- Experience outside the consultancy environment (i.e. as client or regulator)
We offer a competitive salary plus a range of benefits, including a contributory pension scheme, discretionary company bonus, Medical and Dental care, Life Insurance, 25 days holiday and a flexible working policy. Our contributory pension scheme has been awarded the Pension Quality Mark, the highest standard of excellence available for UK company pension schemes.
Royal HaskoningDHV is an Equal Opportunities Employer