ENVIRONMENTAL SAMPLE PROCESSOR
Required for Oxford
Salary range £18,800 - £19,270
Oxford Archaeology is one of the largest independent archaeological practices in Europe. Our size and reputation ensures that we work on the most exciting and varied projects, and can offer real opportunities for long term employment and career development.
Oxford Archaeology wishes to appoint an Environmental Sample Processor based at its Oxford office. The position would suit someone with some prior archaeological experience and an interest in developing skills in environmental archaeology. The job will entail recording and processing a range of sample types from different burial environments, using specific techniques. While the position will be largely office-based there may be some requirement to undertake archaeological fieldwork or other office-based task, to take specialist's samples and/or process samples on-site.
- demonstrable experience of environmental archaeology and sample processing.
- highly motivated individual with the ability to work both within a team environment and independently.
- attention to detail and the ability to maintain accurate records.
- ability to communicate effectively with colleagues.
- ability to undertake a range of manual handling tasks.
- experience of professional archaeological fieldwork within the UK or Irish commercial environment.
- familiarity with one or more classes of environmental remains.
- a degree in archaeology, archaeological science or other related discipline will be highly advantageous.
- membership of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists at PCIfA level.
Successful candidates will normally be offered a 12 week contract (37.5 hours per week) after which permanent contracts will be offered, dependent upon sufficient work being available and the candidate demonstrating satisfactory performance and competence for the role.
In return, we offer an exciting range of employee benefits.
- Competitive salary range £18,800 - £19,270 (appointments will be made on the basis of demonstrated ability and previous experience).
- 32 days holiday (including statutory holidays and concessionary days at Christmas).
- Company pension scheme.
- Training including placements, and opportunities for career progression.
- 100% of CIfA subscription fees, up to ACIfA level.
- Free transport from regional offices to sites.
- High quality personal protective equipment (inc. breathable waterproofs, fleeces etc).
- Subsistence payment (£15 per night) and free accommodation (B and B / self-catering) provided for away-based projects. No sharing – single rooms only.
- Overtime will be paid for additional hours worked including travelling time where you are the ‘responsible person’ or driver.
- Childcare vouchers.
- Cycle to work scheme.
For further information about the post please contact Rebecca Nicholson at the Oxford office on 01865 263824.
If you would like to be part of a respected and established organisation, please apply by completing an application form, available from:
Alternatively, you can post your completed application form to:
Closing Date: Sunday 21st October 2018
Oxford Archaeology is an Equal Opportunities employer. All applications are judged on the relevant skills and experience of the candidate, and not by gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, belief, age, nationality (other than where work permits may be required), or ethnicity. You must meet the requirements to live and work in the UK by UK Visas and Immigration.
Registered Charity No. 285627; Company Registration No. 1618597