Based in Salisbury, United Kingdom
Supervisor/Officer (£21,255 - £25,161 pa, salary commensurate with skills and experience)
Wessex Archaeology is one of the largest independent archaeological practices in the UK and is a registered Charity whose aims are to promote the advancement of education and the advancement of the arts, culture, heritage and science. We have offices in Salisbury, Sheffield, Maidstone, Bristol, Edinburgh and Wales.
Wessex Archaeology is seeking to appoint a Marine Geophysicist (Supervisor/Officer grade) to join our GeoServices team, to be based in Salisbury. This opportunity offers the chance to work as part of the dynamic GeoServices team, which together employs technical experts from a wide range of science disciplines to provide specialist input into projects and deliver a range of services to our clients by applying Earth Science techniques to a wide range of archaeological projects.
The successful applicant would assist in the production and delivery of a range of marine geophysical projects. The primary responsibilities of the role include:
Further essential and desirable skills for the role include:
- Processing and archaeological interpretation of a range of marine geophysical data sets (sidescan sonar, magnetometer, multibeam bathymetry and shallow seismic data);
- Accurate reporting of interpretation results, and production of high quality client deliverables;
- Ensuring all work and resulting reporting is carried out in accordance with relevant standards and guidance;
- Acquisition and quality control of marine geophysical survey data.
- A good degree in a relevant subject (e.g. Archaeology or Earth Sciences);
- Experience in marine geophysical data processing and interpretation;
- The ability to interrogate, interpret and integrate data from numerous sources;
- Good organisation skills, and prior experience working to deadlines;
- The ability to write and communicate clearly, and experience in producing technical reports;
- Flexibility with working hours, including occasional work away from home;
- The ability to work as part of a team and the willingness to support and assist others;
- A full, clean UK driving licence.
- Prior experience in the offshore survey industry;
- Membership of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists (or another appropriate professional body);
- Current offshore sea survival (Personal Survival Techniques) and offshore medical certificates
Applicants are invited to submit a completed application form (available from the vacancies page on our website http://www.wessexarch.co.uk/vacancies) with a copy of their CV; and returned by e-mail to email@example.com by the 1st March 2019. Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged. Further details, including Job Descriptions can be downloaded from our website. For all queries, please contact David Howell (Marine Geophysics Manager) firstname.lastname@example.org.
Whilst Wessex Archaeology welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, it is essential that all applicants must be either a British citizen, EU National or hold a full work visa and where appropriate be registered under the ‘Worker Registration Scheme’ or must hold a current work permit. Proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK will be required prior to commencement of employment.