REF: SHEFFGEO 03.19
Archaeological Technician - £18,900 to £20,333 (pay award pending)
Wessex Archaeology, operating throughout the UK, is the market leader in the provision of integrated archaeological and heritage management services to government, education and the private sector. As a registered Charity we aim to promote the advancement of education, the arts, culture, heritage and science. We have offices in Salisbury, Sheffield, Maidstone, Bristol and Edinburgh.
We are looking to fill the post of Geomatics Technician within our Geomatics department. The role will involve undertaking a range of duties in support of the rest of the Geomatics team and other departments within the Company. Tasks will include, but are not limited to; equipment set up, processing and tidying of archaeological survey data, use of CAD, admin tasks and archaeological fieldwork.
The ideal candidate will have fieldwork experience in a professional commercial archaeological environment, although recent graduates are also encouraged to apply. We expect the successful candidates to be able to work well as part of a team but also be motivated and able to work independently.
This is an excellent opportunity to develop your career in archaeological survey with one of the largest independent archaeological companies in the UK. At Wessex Archaeology, we are dedicated to investing in our staff through training and development; and are looking for candidates who are keen to learn new skills.
Initially we will appoint on a 3-month fixed term contract, with an extension available after performance review. The successful applicant will assist in the delivery of Geomatics services across the Company.
You will be expected to:
- Be open to learning and receiving direction;
- Communicate appropriately and respectfully;
- Be responsible and accountable for your work, actions and decisions.
- Ability to work with self-awareness and the confidence to ask questions
- Ability to manage own time and work to tight deadlines
- Strong organisational skills
- An interest in archaeological survey
- Full clean Driving Licence
- Membership of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists
- Experience of using CAD programs
- Experience of using survey grade GPS to record archaeological sites
- A good understanding of photography
- A good degree in archaeology or related subject
Applicants are invited to submit a completed application form available from the vacancies page on our website (https://www.wessexarch.co.uk/vacancies) and returned by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be received by close of business on Friday 5th April 2019. Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged.
Whilst Wessex Archaeology welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, it is essential that all applicants must be either a British citizen, EU National or hold a full work visa or a current work permit. Proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK will be required prior to commencement of employment.