Oxford Archaeology is one of the largest independent archaeological practices in Europe. Our size and reputation ensures that we work on the most exciting and varied projects, and can offer real opportunities for long term employment and career development. We have offices in Oxford, Lancaster and Cambridge and we are a registered heritage charity.
We are seeking Project Officers to join our highly successful and respected post-excavation department at OA South in Oxford. The successful candidate or candidates will report to the Head of Post-Excavation and will contribute to a range of archaeological and cultural heritage investigations and projects. The Project Officer will assist with interpretation, analysis and presentation of project data. They will work primarily in post-excavation analysis and publication, but will also provide research support for other departments as required.
This is offered as a full-time role, based in our Oxford office, but applications for part-time working would be considered.
The role will encompass varied responsibilities, the key aspects of which are:
• Post-excavation analysis leading to publication.
• Writing and editing grey literature reports and publications (including journal articles,
monographs and digital publications).
• Assisting in the management of the programme for specific projects, including liaison
with a range of stakeholders and monitoring of progress and budget.
• Knowledge and understanding of post-excavation procedures and practices.
• The ability to work independently when required but also to operate as part of a team.
• Good organisational and administrative skills.
• Good communication skills.
• Excellent written English.
• Thorough knowledge of British archaeology.
• The ability to undertake academic research on relevant subjects.
• A degree in archaeology, archaeological science or a related discipline.
• The ability to operate with regard to health and safety legislation and any related policies
• Expertise in one or more categories of archaeological specialism. We would particularly
welcome applicants with expertise in pottery or other finds from any period.
• Experience of copy-editing or proof-reading of publications.
• The ability to drive.
Applicants should be members, or eligible for membership, of the CIfA, preferably at the ACIfA level.
In return, we offer an exciting range of employee benefits.
- Competitive salary range £24,074 to £29,331 (appointments will be made on the basis of demonstrated ability, previous experience and CIfA membership if appropriate).
- Up to 35 days holiday (including statutory holidays and concessionary days at Christmas).
- Company pension scheme.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Training including placements, and opportunities for career progression.
- 100% of CIfA subscription fees, up to ACIfA level (those at MCIfA level will receive the equivalent of ACIfA level).
- Childcare vouchers.
For further information about the role, please contact Leo Webley (Head of Post-Excavation) by email in the first instance at email@example.com
If you would like to join the team please apply by completing an application form, available from:
Alternatively, you can post your completed application form to:
Please enclose a CV and covering letter with your application.
Closing Date: Sunday 4th August 2019.
Oxford Archaeology is an Equal Opportunities employer. All applications are judged on the relevant skills and experience of the candidate, and not by gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, belief, age, nationality (other than where work permits may be required), or ethnicity. You must meet the requirements to live and work in the UK by UK Visas and Immigration.
Registered Charity No. 285627; Company Registration No. 1618597