Ref MAIDDO 07.19
Officer Grade (Salary - £24,530 to £28,456)
London Fringe Payment £870
Salary commensurate with skills and experience
Wessex Archaeology, operating throughout the UK, is the market leader in the provision of integrated archaeological and heritage management services to government, education and the private sector. As a registered Charity we aim to promote the advancement of education, the arts, culture, heritage and science.
Wessex Archaeology’s Graphics Studio comprises an exciting and innovative blend of archaeological illustrators, designers and creatives. The Studio provides a comprehensive and professional illustration, interpretation and design service; constantly developing new and creative ways of visually presenting data to bring the past to life.
We are seeking an experienced archaeological illustrator to support our busy London & SE Region. Based in our Maidstone office, they will work alongside our fieldwork, post-ex, heritage and geomatics specialists. The successful candidate will be afforded the opportunity to work on a range of interesting and varied products. They will receive support from our company-wide Studio team, enabling them to developing existing skills and to explore new methods and specialisms.
This role is offered as an office-based full-time appointment to our core team.
The successful candidate should have at least 3 years’ experience of working in a professional, commercial archaeological environment and have a good understanding of professional standards for archaeological practice.
Additional skills an advantage:
- Education to Degree level in an appropriate subject or demonstrable experience to an equivalent level;
- Must have a good working knowledge of AutoCAD and Adobe CCS;
- The ability to learn new software and gain new skills;
- Show good composition and layout skills as well as evidence of preparing appropriate deliverables to the required standard;
- Be both analytical and creative, with problem solving and interpretative skills;
- The ability to advise project staff of the best methods to achieve the desired aims;
- Show a systematic approach with attention to detail;
- Have an appropriate level of understanding to ensure work is carried out effectively and safely, and conforms to the Company’s standards of quality;
- The ability to check, combine and clearly present pre and post-excavation data;
- Be able to prepare illustrations for all levels of client reports, by liaising with other specialists and using the drawing briefs supplied;
- Have demonstratable experience in preparing publication illustrations;
The behavioural attributes that we expect from you are:
- The ability to prepare a wide variety of promotional material for web content and community engagement;
- The ability to capture and edit video and sound;
- The ability to create 2D or 3D reconstructions;
- Experience of creating display and exhibition material;
- Animation skills;
- App development and/or working with Content Management Systems.
You will be expected to be able to work independently when required and demonstrate a professional approach to work, colleagues, other professionals and clients.
- Be open to learning and receiving direction;
- Be approachable in providing support, guidance and advice;
- Communicate appropriately and respectfully;
- Be responsible and accountable for your work, actions and decisions;
- Be confident, innovative and show good judgement in problem solving and decision making;
- To work collegiately across all departments and regional offices.
Applicants are invited to submit a completed application form (available from the vacancies page on our website https://www.wessexarch.co.uk/vacancies) with a copy of their CV and 6 - 10 examples of their work, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be received by close of business on Friday 30th August 2019. Candidates invited to an interview will be expected to present their full portfolio. For more information about the post, please contact Karen Nichols, Studio Manager – email@example.com
Whilst Wessex Archaeology welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, it is essential that all applicants provide proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK prior to commencement of employment.