Archaeological Geophysicist - Assistant/Supervisor – permanent contract
£19,500 - £23,000 per annum, depending on experience
asst.Grade £19,500 - £21,000
sup Grade £21,500 - £23,000
Do you want to learn how to interpret geophysical data and write survey reports? Are you a geophysicist who is tired of setting out grids? Do you want to push the boundaries of what commercial geophysical survey is capable of? Then come join Team Magnitude!
Magnitude Surveys has recently expanded to five survey teams and is seeking to promptly recruit individuals with archaeological, geophysical or geological backgrounds to help the company meet diversifying workloads. The position will entail mostly field-based responsibilities with a mix of office-based training. These could include:
The ideal candidate would possess the following:
- Field survey: this generally entails working away in a team of two using hand-pulled or quad-towed magnetometer survey systems, as well as GPR and EM surveys. Experience in undertaking geophysical surveys is essential for the supervisor role, but full training will be given for the assistant position.
- Community survey.
- Office work: includes training in data interpretation and report writing, WSI/RAMS production, data archiving tasks, and training in equipment maintenance. Office work is conducted in a collaborative working environment, which allows junior members of staff to gain experience report writing process alongside more experienced or qualified individuals.
Although the above qualifications are preferred, we encourage anyone with a keen interest in archaeological geophysics to apply.
- Full clean UK/EU driving licence including experience driving off road
- The ability to work as part of a close-knit team
- Degree in archaeological/near surface geophysics or similar
- Experience working on large-scale infrastructure projects in the UK
- CIfA membership at Practitioner level (or be working towards membership)
Full training will be given to the right candidate.
- Employee perks package, including; Discounts at major retailers, Free coffee @ Cafe Nero, Free Cineworld cinema tickets.
- Company wide profit sharing bonus scheme.
- Travel to site, accommodation and subsistence is paid for while away from the office.
- Full PPE will be provided, including Gore-Tex or equivalent waterproofs and safety boots.
- Magnitude Surveys encourages and supports its staff professional development by funding conference attendance and presentation, as well as training workshops. CIfA membership and a current CSCS card are desirable, but not essential. Magnitude Surveys will support the successful candidate in obtaining both CIfA membership and a CSCS card if they do not have one.
- The successful candidate will be automatically enrolled into the NEST workplace pension scheme with matched employer contributions of up to 6%.
- Magnitude Surveys offers 31 days holiday including bank holidays, in addition to any company shutdown days.
The Company and the Candidate
Magnitude Surveys is seeking a driven, self-motivated individual who is looking to expand their technical skills and creative abilities in one of the UK’s largest independent providers of archaeological geophysical surveys. Magnitude Surveys is a social enterprise and independent provider of archaeological geophysics to the community, public outreach and commercial sectors. We are passionate about sharing geophysical survey as an interactive tool to encourage engagement and connection with archaeological and cultural heritage. As such, we specialise in tailoring geophysical surveys to meet both the project’s specific geophysical requirements and the needs of community participants. To meet these requirements, we design and manufacture our own cutting-edge geophysical systems and software.
The ideal candidate would have an MSc in archaeological prospection or similar qualifications. As the position requires survey work away from site, a full, clean driving licence is therefore essential. The office-based responsibilities will be based in our head office, conveniently situated between Bradford and Leeds with good links to the motorway and public transportation network.
The closing date for application is the 6th October; however, early application is advised as the post may be filled before closing date. Applicants should submit a covering letter and CV through our website. Interviews will be held in our Bradford office.
For further information about the position, please contact Finnegan Pope-Carter at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01274 926020 for an informal discussion.