As a company that has just joined up with a major Environmental and Engineering consultancy (RSK), we are looking to recruit a career-minded archaeologist at Project Manager level to join our team in our Midlands and West office (based in the historic City of Hereford).
Are you someone who:
If so, Headland Archaeology is the place to further your career.
- is self driven with a positive outlook and good understanding of British Archaeology?
- has experience of managing commercial field archaeology projects in Britain?
- will be able to sell our services to new clients and help develop existing commercial relationships?
- is prepared to work as part of a team to push forward new ideas and promote new ways of working?
- can motivate teams to deliver projects to programme and budget?
- wants to develop your career in a forward looking company that invests in innovation?
- wants to broaden your skills in managing the commercial aspects of projects as well as archaeology?
As a commercial company there is plenty of scope to utilise existing skills, discover new ones and develop strengths you perhaps didn’t realise you had. You will encounter numerous opportunities for personal development and promotion. But that is not all, with a proactive post-excavation department we are producing a growing number of monographs and other peer reviewed publications every year; our dedicated training team (CIfA accredited) will help support your projects and RSK provides a wealth of opportunity to broaden the range and nature of the experience enjoyed by our staff.
The position will involve preparation of tenders and the running of both field and office-based projects. You will be expected to use your archaeological experience to advise clients and to support colleagues as projects progress.
The successful candidates should expect to receive from Headland:
- Continuous support from a proactive and approachable senior management team
- Role specific and other related management training.
- Periodic discressionary additional payments by way of company bonus schemes (look on social media for more information)
Other benefits include:
- A monthly clothing allowance
- Contribution to pension scheme
- Paid subsistence and accomodation for away work
- Support joining CIfA and membership fees whilst working for us.
- Medicash insurance
- Death in service benifit
The following criteria are essential:
The following criteria are desirable:
- A desire to learn, develop and lead
- Detailed experience and understanding of UK commercial archaeology and planning legislation
- Experience in the management of archaeological projects
- Full Clean driving licence and willingness to drive company vehicles
- Degree level education or higher in a relevant subject
- A demonstrable portfolio of reports
- Excellent organisational skills
- Experience in the production of tenders and PQQs
- Experience/understanding of project finances and reporting
- Use of Microsoft Office packages
- Ability to use own initiative
In the first instance please send an application quoting reference MWSEPT19MGR to email@example.com. (Informal inquiries concerning the role can be made to Andy Boucher or Mike Kimber – 01432 364 901). Applications must include a short cover letter or email, an up to date CV – including bibliography of publications, and the contact details of at least two referees. If you do not meet all the essential criteria we may still consider you for this position but please could you let us know your willingness to be considered for a Senior Archaeologist’s role, working towards this position.
- Current CSCS card (preferably PQP or AQP)
- A publication track record
- Willingness to work and be based away from home on major projects within the British Isles (and possibly further afield).
- Membership of the CIfA
The team you will join - The team at Hereford comprises 20+ core staff and is looking to further expand! We are working on an exciting and varied range of projects across Wales, the West Midlands and the South West and are heavily involved in high profile national infrastructure schemes. The company is passionate about archaeology and very focused on training, so not only can you expect to receive training but our staff are encouraged to get involved with the development of those working with them.
It’s not all about work - The Hereford office can trace its roots back to the early 1970’s, and one of the original rescue archaeology Excavation Committees. Later restablished as part of Headland in 2009 our new office is located within the site of a former WWII munitions factory over-looked by an Iron Age hill fort. It is housed in a modern office/warehouse complex. We have redesigned the interior to provide a mixture of office, meeting space and staff rest area alongside a finds and soil processing suite with plentiful car parking outside. The city centre is about 10-15 minutes’ drive away or 10 minutes’ cycle ride.
Location - Hereford is one of only five statutorily designated areas of archaeological importance in the country. Boasting continuous occupation from the 7th Century to present, it has well preserved Saxon and Medieval defences with a superb medieval cathedral at its centre. There are good sports and gym facilities in the city (including a leisure pool and climbing wall) as well as a wide variety of outdoor pursuits clubs covering climbing, sub-aqua, triathlon etc. It has a thriving nightlife with many late bars and clubs and a regular calendar of family-friendly festivals and events.
Hereford is located on the main line between Newport (South Wales) and Manchester. Cardiff is about an hour’s journey away by train, Worcester about 45 minutes. There are also some direct trains to London (3 hours), and Birmingham (1.5 hours). There are bus services running from local towns, although Leominster and Ledbury are both connected by rail to Hereford. A car is useful for exploring the wider countryside, the office is located about half an hour from the M50.
There are many other benefits to working with Headland such as support in joining CIfA and paying membership dues, an annual bonus scheme and a good company pension plan - see http://www.headlandarchaeology.com/Careers/careers.html
For information about our various offices and the company as a whole - see http://www.headlandarchaeology.com/Careers/careers.html
Also check us out on:
Linked in: http://www.linkedin.com/company/headland-archaeology-uk-ltd