Archivist - London
Job ref: AV1019L
Pay: £21,525 to £23,063 (dependent upon experience)
Hours: Full time, 37.5 hours per week (Monday to Friday)
MOLA is seeking to recruit for a post of Archivist to work within a small team preparing the site records and artefacts, from a wide variety of archaeological investigations in London and the South-East, for archiving to local repository standards. The successful applicant will also be required from time to time to help supervise volunteers and students within archive-based volunteer and community projects.
Applicants must have a degree in Archaeology or a related subject. They should have experience of working successfully within a team and good attention to detail. A good understanding of archiving standards, records management and databases is essential and previous experience of archaeological fieldwork, working with archaeological artefacts and ecofacts, digital archiving and working with volunteers highly desirable.
Applicants must have a degree in archaeology or a related subject and have some experience in records management and working with archaeological finds and/or ecofacts. Relevant European commercial experience will also be considered and we welcome applications from EU Citizens. Candidates should demonstrate an ability to work well within large teams and independently.
Essential Criteria include:
• Basic understanding of archiving standards
• Experience of working within cross functional teams
• Basic experience of records management
• Excellent organisational skills and ability to work with minimal supervision
• Excellent communication skills both written and oral and team working capabilities
• Strong skills in Excel and Word
• High attention to detail and an ability to see jobs through to completion
• Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
• Flexible and responsive to short term changes of plan
Desirable Criteria include:
• Membership of CIfA and/or another relevant professional body
• Some experience in preparing and processing archive materials
• Some archaeological field work experience
• Experience of using databases
• Experience of working with volunteers or on Community projects
• Experience of working with finds and ecofacts
• Knowledge and use of Microsoft Access
• Previous use of AutoCAD and ArcGIS software
• Knowledge of ADS and digital archive requirements
What we offer you?
Along with a competitive salary, we offer:
• 22 days annual leave (plus bank holidays), pro-rata, rising based on service length
• Generous pension scheme
• Life Assurance and Sickness Income Protection Policies
• Free health care cash plan (including dependent children)
• Employee Assistance Programme
• Season interest-free travel loan
• Cycle scheme
• Free access to many of London’s museums and galleries (excluding ticketed events)
We are committed to mentoring and training staff at all levels in order to develop individual capability and enhance career prospects.
• Please see the attached documents via the website to download job descriptions and application form at https://www.mola.org.uk/about-us/careers/archivist-london-2
• Applications without an application form will not be considered.
• When completing the application form, please state which position you are applying for quoting job reference AV1019L
• Applications should be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
• The closing date for the vacancy is 23:59 on Sunday 20th October 2019
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to commencement.
MOLA promotes diversity and equality of opportunity at all levels, and welcomes applications from people regardless of sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, age, or religion or belief.