Archaeologists – Basingstoke, Northampton & London
Pay range: Starting from £21,013 Basingstoke and Northampton, and from £21,525 in London
Hours: Full time, 37.5 hours per week
Locations: Basingstoke, Northampton and London based, but travel to sites across the UK will be required
Duration: Fixed-term 3 month contracts with start dates throughout November
Due to an increasing workload across all three offices including work on large infrastructure projects, MOLA are offering three month fixed-term contracts which may be extended, depending on our work programme. We are looking for individuals with ideally at least three months’ experience in UK commercial archaeology, although relevant European commercial experience will also be considered. We are particularly keen to hear from people with experience working on large linear infrastructure projects.
- Some projects are based within commuting distance of the offices. For the Northampton and Basingstoke offices transport is provided to and from site, including paid time for drivers. For projects further away high-quality accommodation and subsistence is provided during the week.
- Away work should be considered a normal part of this role, as we will have a number of such projects during this period.
- As one of the largest independent archaeological organisations in the UK we can offer a wide range of interesting, exciting and challenging projects, of all types and periods.
- MOLA pays for CIfA application and membership fees in full, and also reimburses up to £40 for safety boots.
- Offers will be made to suitable candidates before the closing date, so early applications are advised.
The following criteria are essential:
- Interest in and knowledge of British archaeology
- CSCS card (ideally Academically Qualified Person or Professionally Qualified Person) or willingness to acquire one
- Use of or knowledge of archaeological recording systems
- Experience of archaeological fieldwork
- Ability to carry out prolonged manual work in an outdoor environment in all weather
- Good organisational skills
- Good communication skills, and ability to work positively as part of a team
- Ability to work under pressure
- An understanding and appreciation of diversity in the workplace
The following criteria are desirable:
- Degree in archaeology or equivalent experience
- Driving licence and willingness to drive company vehicles
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Archaeologists (CIfA)
- Experience of commercial archaeological fieldwork
- Experience of working in urban, rural and/or infrastructure construction environments
- Ability to work without close supervision
- Use of Microsoft Office packages
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to commencement.
We offer a range of benefits to our employees including the following:
- 30 days annual leave (including bank holidays), rising based on service length
- Generous pension scheme
- Life Assurance and Sickness Income Protection Policies
- Health care cash plan (including dependent children)
- Subsidy for relevant professional memberships
- Cycle Scheme
- Season interest-free travel loan
- Free access to many of London’s museums and galleries (excluding ticketed events)
We are committed to mentoring and training staff at all levels in order to develop individual capability and enhance career prospects. We offer a highly competitive salary and a generous benefits package.
For more information and to apply, please download the full job description and application form at https://www.mola.org.uk/about-us/careers
Please quote the following reference(s) depending upon the office(s) you apply to :
- DSA1119L for London
- DSA1119N for Northampton
- DSA1119B for Basingstoke
Applications without an application form will not be considered.
Applications should be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for the vacancy is 23:59 on Sunday 17th November.
Please note: Early applications are advised as applications will be reviewed upon receipt and start dates are available immediately and through early August.
MOLA promotes diversity and equality of opportunity at all levels, and welcomes applications from people regardless of sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, age, or religion or belief.