part of Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service
Join our innovative and friendly teamWorcestershire Archaeology (www.explorethepast.co.uk ) is looking for Archaeologists to join our field team, operating on a wide range of projects across the West Midlands and beyond. With a proven track record of delivering high quality fieldwork for over 35 years, we are seeking new team members to help us meet the growing demand we continue to enjoy for our services.
We offer a great opportunity for people to develop their careers in an innovative and friendly environment in which nearly all of our current field team have benefitted from our award winning NVQ trainee scheme or from internal promotion. We are based at The Hive, in the centre of Worcester (www.thehiveworcester.org), an award winning building providing a unique combination of library, archive and archaeological services under one roof.
- Fully paid travel time to all sites (for all staff not just the driver).
- Local Government contributory pension scheme (probably the best there is).
- 37 hours per week (plus regular opportunities for overtime).
- 33 days holiday per year (including statutory holidays), rising to 38 after 5 years.
- Paid accommodation and subsistence for away work.
- Paid CIfA membership for field staff and supported attendance at conferences.
- A CIfA accredited, award winning, training programme for entry level staff.
- A review and development scheme for all the team which has underpinned our proven track record of training, retaining and promoting our staff.
- A range of measures to promote a good work/life balance (Worcester's a great place to live and only about 5% of our projects being away jobs you'll get plenty of time to enjoy making your home here).
- Wages that meet or exceed CIfA/BAJR minima.
Archaeologist – £19,554 to £21,166. Our archaeologists are involved in the excavation, survey and recording of a wide range of archaeological sites, across the region and beyond. We also seek to involve all of our staff in a range of other tasks (including post-excavation), thus you'll get a chance to develop your career and build a platform for promotion. Four out of five of our Project Officers started with us as Archaeologists.
We will also consider applications from people looking to develop a career in field archaeology with less experience than that required to fill our Archaeologist posts (PCIfA or equivalent level of commercial experience). Appointment would be to the post of Archaeologist (trainee) - £18,065 to £18,426. Our 9 month training programme has been highly commended by the Archaeology Training Forum and is fully accredited by CIfA. This includes completing an NVQ (Level 3) in Archaeological Practice. Providing a broader training platform than many other schemes (it isn't all about fieldwork) when completed it automatically entitles you to PCIfA status opening the way to a career in archaeology.
The posts are offered until the 31st March 2020 (trainee posts for a period of 9 months). Subject to continued market performance, it is intended posts will be extended.
Closing date for applications 15 November 2019.
Interviews will be held on 28th and 29th November 2019Apply online at www.worcestershire.gov.uk/jobs and follow links to 'Current Vacancies' and 'Worcestershire County Council Jobs' and scroll to the advert. All applications will receive a written response.