JBA Consulting are seeking to appoint two new team members in our expanding archaeology and heritage team on a permanent basis. We are looking to appoint one new team member at Graduate level and a second team member at Consultant or Senior level depending on experience. The roles will be based in our office at the World Heritage Site of Saltaire, Shipley, BD18 3LF on a full-time basis, although alternative office locations and working hours may be considered for the right candidate.
As part of our dynamic environment and planning team, you will have the opportunity to work on exciting and varied projects. Our team has a national remit which will provide the successful candidates with an interesting and challenging workload. As a rapidly growing business stream you will be in a position to influence the development of a quality focussed service.
You will be supporting the team in the delivery of planning related heritage work including the completion of research and field visits, the preparation of DBAs, WSIs, ES chapters and other advice, contributing to project solutions and stakeholder liaison. We work across the historic environment and projects will encompass archaeology, historic buildings and historic landscapes. There will also be opportunities to contribute to business development, supervision of fieldwork and mentoring staff and QA of reports (at Senior grade).
You may have private sector consultancy experience already or be moving from a public sector or commercial fieldwork role and looking for new and exciting challenges. You will have an aptitude for learning, excellent communication skills and be able to work effectively as part of a team and independently. We value professional accreditation and candidates should be members of CIfA and/or IHBC or willing to work to towards accreditation. We take professional and career development seriously at all grades and will work with you to actively support you on your continued professional development pathway.
Core Skills and Experience
Desirable Skills and Experience
- A degree in archaeology, heritage management or other relevant subject, or equivalent experience
- Understanding of issues relating to archaeology, historic buildings and historic landscapes and for more experienced job grades experience of undertaking assessments across these types of cultural heritage
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with experience of talking to a variety of audiences
- Concise and clear report writing skills and for senior level appointments experience of preparing, or making significant contributions to, archaeological and heritage reports, preferably including desk-based assessments, heritage statements, ES chapters and written schemes of investigation
- Demonstrable experience in the commercial archaeology and heritage sector
- Understanding of the UK planning system and key legislation, policy and guidance
- Ability to work effectively independently and within teams
- Membership of CIfA and/or IHBC or willingness to become accredited
- Driving licence.
Please see https://www.jbaconsulting.com/work-for-us/careers/ for further details of the positions and how to apply.
- Knowledge and understanding of geoarchaeology and palaeoenvironmental archaeology
- Experience of assessing effects on the setting of heritage assets
- Knowledge and understanding of marine and inter tidal heritage issues
- Supervision and oversight of archaeological fieldwork
- Tendering and business development including the preparation of fee proposals and project costs
- GIS and CAD software packages.