Post title: Senior archaeology and heritage consultant
Responsible to: Technical Director – Heritage
Purpose: To be responsible for consultancy and archaeological research, producing good quality reports efficiently, within budget and to deadlines, be able to apply knowledge across multi-disciplinary projects, work well within an inter-disciplinary team and be positive, pro-active and client focused.
Experience: A degree in archaeology; 5-years post-graduate employment experience minimum; member of Chartered Institute for Archaeology (either associate ACIfA or full member MCIfA level) or prepared to join
Salary: Competitive and commensurate to experience and professional institute recognition
With over thirty years of experience, Terence O’Rourke (TOR) has a proud record of delivering successful schemes for its clients in the property and development industry, including many award winning projects. Our team has a unique skill-set in the planning, design and environmental professions, working closely as an integrated unit, and deals creatively with challenging planning situations to deliver commercially viable solutions. Our record shows an inspired and imaginative response, unlocking opportunities at the forefront of best practice and at the cutting edge of commercial thinking. What sets us apart is how we integrate our disciplines to give clients a bespoke team of experts tailored to meet their project’s needs. We have a close relationship with our clients, taking care to listen to them and understand their objectives so that we often exceed their expectations. This approach creates comprehensive, innovative solutions to even the most complex planning, environmental and design challenges.
TOR Heritage overview
We are looking to grow our heritage consultancy team for projects generated across our Bournemouth, London and Birmingham offices. We support our clients from their initial due diligence and assessment of viability of a project, to advising on how best to respond positively to the heritage resource in a future project design and planning application. We work with colleagues in the landscape architecture and master planning departments of our company in order to determine potential change to all heritage assets from a development proposal and apply best practice assessment techniques to understand change to setting. We influence changes to design where possible to alleviate and reduce potential heritage harm. We also have experience of managing the all necessary archaeological site investigations from evaluation stage through to planning condition discharge.
Therefore, we are looking for a candidate with demonstrable experience in the archaeological or heritage sector who is competent at researching and producing all forms of heritage impact assessments, including inputting to environmental statements. The post holder will be required to visit sites, client premises and our other offices. The role will involve occasional away working. The successful candidate should:
Benefits of working at TOR
- Be a good communicator who can offer pragmatic professional advice to our clients
- Work well within a team and on their own;
- Have experience of multi-disciplinary projects
- Be able to manage personal workload effectively, and work under pressure on multiple projects
- Have a good all round knowledge of all aspects of the historic environment (archaeology, historic buildings, historic landscapes etc.)
- Have experience of stakeholder consultation with officers from Historic England and/or local authority heritage officers
- Have experience of sourcing suitable archaeological sub-contractors, tendering, appointing, liaising to ensure safe & successful completion of works and endorsing final reports on behalf of clients
- Be conscious of the need to develop and foster a diverse network of contacts with the ultimate aim of creating your own portfolio of projects
- Have a full clean driving licence
- Be comfortable deputising for the Technical Director of the heritage team at client/stakeholder meetings and public consultation events.
- A highly competitive salary
- Generous company pension scheme contributions
- Personal Life assurance scheme
- 25 days annual leave rising with length of service
- Professional career development encouraged, and supported
- Great office locations in London, Birmingham and Bournemouth.
If you are interested in joining our heritage team, please send a CV and covering letter along with an example of a written report of your choice to email@example.com.
TOR is an equal opportunities employer.