ASSISTANT SUPERVISORS (CONTRACTING)
Salary: £21,550 + generous benefits package
Hours: Full time, 37.5h/week
Locations: Midlands & West (Hereford), South & East (Silsoe), North (Cleckheaton), Scotland (Edinburgh)
Contract Type: Varying Lengths – 3 months, 6 months, Permanent
Closing Date: 5pm on 28th February 2021 Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we may fill existing vacancies before the closing date, so you are advised to submit your application as early as possible.
Are you fascinated in the past and looking to further your career in commercial archaeology? Do you want to be part of big infrastructure schemes, and supervise interesting projects?
This is an excellent opportunity, if you are looking to expand your knowledge in commercial archaeology, improve your skills and be part of a team who delivers high quality archaeological work.
Why Should You Apply?
We are a privately owned archaeological business, part of the RSK Group, a leader in integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services. We provide heritage services to the development and construction sectors in UK and across the world. With four offices in England and one in Scotland, we offer our employees:
- Unique knowledge and expertise. For more than 20 years, Headland has provided not only business-focused archaeology but also people-focused business. We are highly respected within our industry for our achievements in innovation, tailor-made development coaching and training, and our expertise in commercial archaeology.
- Strong pioneering spirit. Our corporate culture is characterised by a healthy appetite for originality and development.
- Stable company with excellent growth. Over the years, we have demonstrated steady, positive economic development and formed successful partnerships.
- Good work environment. You will be surrounded by colleagues who are pleasant, professional, and enthusiastic about their work.
- Opportunity to influence. You get to work in an open climate, close to decision makers and with the possibility of making a difference.
- Part of RSK group. You will have further opportunities to become involved in nationally and internationally prominent projects with exciting prospects for career development. The group has c.3500 employees and c.80 environmentally lead companies.
We are looking to recruit up to 6 dedicated, results-driven individuals, available to start immediately. Ideally you would have reasonable experience in British commercial archaeology, or relevant European commercial experience.
This is an intermediary position to help develop future Project Supervisors (Level 2). You will buddy up with existing Supervisors and Project Officers to learn the job which includes to undertake a wide range of tasks for archaeological investigation, and field-based surveys and excavations, as well as research, analysis, and reporting. As part of the fieldwork team you will get involved in several large and exciting projects across central, southern, and eastern England and Scotland. We have interesting projects including waterlogged medieval and Roman urban excavations, IA/RB agricultural and industrial landscapes on linear schemes. Working away and travelling to new places is a normal part of this role; therefore, willingness to travel around the UK is essential.
Our most recent works; which include well preserved IA/RB and Saxon landscapes, medieval and Post-medieval industrial sites in eastern England, prehistoric landscapes on the southern chalklands, industrial archaeology in Birmingham; illustrate the wide range of projects we have been commissioned to deliver.
In Headland we are proud of our people. We will support you to your meet your goals and train you in specific archaeological and other skills to feel confident and succeed in your role.
You must have the following essential criteria:
- Minimum of 3 months experience in commercial fieldwork
- A general working knowledge of the archaeology (all periods and materials) of the British Isles.
- Archaeology degree preferable
- Driving licence and willingness to drive company vehicles in UK
- Strong willingness to develop
- Strong aptitude for archaeological fieldwork
- Up to date CSCS card (Academically Qualified Person or Professionally Qualified Person)
- Good organisational & communication skills
- Embrace inclusion and diversity
- Willingness to develop your people skills
- Substantial knowledge of MS Office & English language
Benefits we offer you:
- Resettlement scheme up to £500, subject to eligibility
- Paid subsistence
- Paid travel time when applicable
- Loyalty bonus £500 for 6month contracts
- Referral Scheme up to £500
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym membership discount, Holidays and Entertainment)
- Time off in lieu or you will be paid for time worked above standard hours
- Annual profit discretionary bonus & performance-related bonus schemes
- Monthly clothing allowance
- 28 days annual leave, rising based on service length
- 5%-6% employer contribution to pension scheme
- Income Protection Policy, after a year with Headland
- Health support scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice on finance, mental health etc)
- Paid CIfA membership, CSCS card
- Paid SSSTS card if required
- Training and workshops
- Constant H&S training
- Cycle to work scheme
- Extra annual leave purchase scheme
How to apply
You must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to your commencement.
Send CV and covering letter to email@example.com quoting ASUP12.
Postal applications will not be accepted.
Headland is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
COVID19: We have wide-ranging COVID-19 plans in place and are following all current official guidance on maintaining a safe working environment during COVID19. We are in constant communication with our clients to ensure all staff can continue to work and operate safely while travelling and working on site and/or in the offices. All inductions include a comprehensive COVID19 brief, and all projects have a daily H&S COVID19 update.