L – P : Archaeology is looking to recruit a Senior Osteologist to lead the osteology team for the cemetery excavation at St. Mary’s Stoke Mandeville, part of the HS2 project.
The cemetery covers an 800-year timespan from 1100 to 1900 and is expected to contain around 3000 burials.
The role will entail supervision of a small osteological team and assisting with the excavation and the on-site processing and assessment, in a purpose-built temporary facility. There will be a reporting period to follow this.
On site works are expected to last c. 6 months with an expected start date in February.
The role is based full time and on site. A relocation package to a commutable distance to Stoke Mandeville/Aylesbury is available. Other expenses may be reimbursable and tailored to individual circumstances.
You will be supported in your position by a Responsible Partner who will assist in improving your ability to conduct your role to a high standard. Range of salary on offer dependant on level of experience. This position is tailored for the person who feels people skills are as important as technical skills.
Covering letters and CVs are to be sent to email@example.com. The closing date for applications is 31st January 2021.
Our ideal candidate will aim to meet two sets of criteria; essential and desired. You must address each point succinctly in your personal statement.
- Commercial archaeological experience in the excavation, processing and assessment of human remains
- Grey Literature Bibliography
- Postgraduate qualification in Osteology
- Valid driver’s licence
- Possession of a CSCS Card
- Willingness to be trained in new areas of work and in the L-P methods and procedures
- Eligibility to work in the UK
- Ability to implement company strategy and policies (Health & Safety, CIfA standards etc)
- Active in pursuing Continuing Professional Development
- Experience in the supervision of other osteologists/and or organisation of an osteological team
- Experience in the analysis of human remains
- Infrastructure site experience
- Enthusiasm for analysis and understanding of archaeological sites
- Professional grade membership of the CIfA (ACIfA Minimum)*
*If they do not hold this item, the successful candidate may be required to obtain these qualifications/memberships. This will be at the company’s expense and with the company’s support
Working arrangements and entitlements
- 37.5 hour standard working week
- 29 days of annual leave (inclusive of bank holidays)
- sick leave on an initial accrual of one day per month for a six month qualifying period, and thereafter one month sick pay allowance as per CIfA minima
- 6% pension contributions after a six month qualifying period, as per CIfA minima
- Relocation incentive negotiable according to circumstances.
- Relevant PPE will be provided to the successful applicant
Working for LP
L – P : Archaeology is a commercial archaeological unit with offices in London, Bristol, Chester, and Bishop’s Stortford. The company is a partnership, with a growing number of permanent employees. L – P has won awards for its archaeological practice, and it is a CIfA registered organisation. As a CIfA registered organisation, L – P comply with their minima for annual leave, sick leave, pensions, subsistence, accommodation and travel expenses. We work largely in the commercial sector, although we are involved in a variety of archaeological research projects, and have a strong Digital Archaeology team.
The L – P ethos is that staff should be upskilled wherever possible. As such we provide our employees with support and active encouragement with regards to training and their continuing professional development.
L – P : Archaeology has committed to becoming carbon neutral, we will be working towards reducing our carbon footprint and we are making annual donations to carbon offsetting projects.
- 100 % CIfA subscription fees
- Support for training and CPD
- 6% Employer pension contribution
- High quality PPE
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Mates in Mind: Mental health support
- CharlieHR Perks at Work: retail discounts and offers for employees