Before you apply for a post, and sign any contract, read this CIfA and PROSPECT approved guide to applying for jobs. What questions to ask, what to expect and what to watch out for. BAJR Guide 54: Applying for a Job in Archaeology
Locations: CFA Archaeology Ltd, Leeds and Milton Keynes offices
Salary: £21,296 to £22,334 (DOE + benefits)
Contracts: Fixed time – immediate starts – please apply ASAP
Apply before: 30th November 2021
CFA are looking to appoint Field Archaeologists to our Leeds and Milton Keynes offices. You will be able to work effectively and professionally as part of a team both in the field and in the office and thrive positively in a busy Company. You must be available to work away on field projects and be able to carry out manual work in outdoor environments in all weather.
This is a great opportunity to join a long established and highly regarded company that prides itself on delivering quality services to clients, whilst providing continuous staff support, development, and training opportunities. We are passionate about archaeology, and we need you to be too. If you have any specific relevant skills, let us know!
Successful criteria include:
- Relevant degree level education or practical experience in UK (or equivalent overseas) desirable.
- Flexible approach to deployment and willingness to travel and work away.
- Membership of the CIfA preferred and a current CSCS Card desirable.
- A good positive attitude and effective team-worker / communicator.
- Willingness to learn a range of office-based and fieldwork tasks, with ambition to progress into more senior roles.
- Reliable and motivated with good organisational skills.
- An appreciation of inclusivity, diversity and dignity and respect in the workplace.
- Full driving licence preferred.
- Microsoft Office skills.
Maintaining a professional, happy, and motivated team is very important to us, so candidates will be able to demonstrate that they are conscientious, reliable, and work well in a variety of environments and weather conditions. You will welcome the opportunity to develop under supervision whilst maintaining standards of safety and quality.
Supporting each other through Teamwork is important to CFA, so we encourage openness and regular dialogue to solve professional challenges effectively. We also look to employ the right technology for the job and invest in technical solutions wherever possible.
Staff are provided with access to a broad range of professional development and skills training, including external HR and Occupational Health Support, where necessary.
Please note: CFA has comprehensive COVID-19 safe systems of work procedures in place and are following all current Government and Industry guidance on establishing and maintaining a safe working environment.
Join Our Team
CFA Archaeology grew out of an established unit within Edinburgh University’s Department of Archaeology, becoming a separate Ltd company in 2000. Over the intervening years, CFA has grown to become one of the leading archaeological practices in the UK, operating out of four thriving offices running up the spine of the country. Although CFA has developed and grown, we have not lost sight of where we came from. We still seek out interesting and exciting archaeology and there is still that small-team ethic of co-operation and a sociable working atmosphere. Many of our staff have grown with us and we have learned to invest in our staff so that they have the training and confidence they need to progress and be rewarded with the opportunities they deserve. You will join a friendly but professionally focused and forward- looking team, who strives to work together supporting and encouraging each other to rise to all challenges.
Our archaeologists work all over the country, from the highlands and islands of Scotland, through Cumbria, Northumberland, and Yorkshire, and down through the Midlands to the South Coast. Our projects range from castles, stately homes, world heritage sites, battlefields, prehistoric, Romano-British, and Anglo-Saxon settlements to industrial archaeology and the archaeology of war. We will learn your interests and preferences and always seek to match them with upcoming projects if we can. We can be flexible about which office you are based at and for report writing and post-excavation, are happy to accommodate home or office working or a mixture of both.
Benefits of working at CFA include:
- Subscription to CIfA paid in full where applicable.
- Paid overnight subsistence and travel time (compliant with all current Govt and industry guidance).
- Weekend accommodation provided where applicable.
- Competitive paid mileage.
- Annual profit distribution scheme.
- Basic 28 days annual leave (including public holidays), rising with continuous service.
- Paid for ‘Time off in Lieu’ above threshold.
- Generous company sick pay after qualifying period.
- Paid medical, family and compassionate leave after qualifying period.
- Generous weekend working compensation when required.
- Paid for / supplied full compliant PPE etc.
- Competitive remuneration (above CIfA recommendation) with annual review.
- Employer contribution to pension scheme up to 6% after qualifying period.
- Performance Reviews, Competencies, Objectives and Development Needs via personal access to HR portal.
- 4x4 off road training, asbestos awareness, confined spaces training, CAT and Genny training and specialist archaeological training.
- Continuous training in all areas of profession, including H&S, Skills & Technical, GDPR, First Aid and Health.
- Employees offered opportunity to develop in all aspects of profession and not be compartmentalised.
- Occupational Health Support.
- Independent external counselling support.
- Relocation support where applicable.
- Cycle to work scheme.
Please apply via email to email@example.com quoting reference ‘Field Archaeologists FA1021' in the subject line no later than close of business on 30th November 2021.
Immediate starts are available.
Only completed applications containing a cover note and CV will be accepted.
nterviews start immediately - please apply asap.
CFA follows all GDPR regulations when handling personal data. All enquiries and applications will be treated in the strictest of confidence. Fort further information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
CFA Archaeology follows a policy of equal opportunities for employment, training, and other conditions of service. All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of identity and right to work in the UK will be required prior to commencing employment. If you require a copy of our policies and/procedures, or further information, please email, email@example.com