Before you apply for a post, and sign any contract, read this CIfA and PROSPECT approved guide to applying for jobs. What questions to ask, what to expect and what to watch out for. BAJR Guide 54: Applying for a Job in Archaeology
Hourly Rate: £10.90 - £11.80 (based on 37.5 hours per week) (equivalent - £21,255 - £23,010 )
We need to grow our team and if you’re interested in joining a major excavation project in central Cornwall we can offer you good pay, on the job training towards certificated courses, and for non-Cornwall residents, accommodation and subsistence.
You will be providing effective support to our client – Cornwall Archaeological Unit (CAU) - during the mitigation works for a major road scheme in central Cornwall.
We are looking for people with previous experience of undertaking archaeological fieldwork, able to keep up to date site records including context sheets, site plans and sections, etc. You will be working under the direction of the CAU Site Supervisor.
The role is for a current project that started in March 2021. The fieldwork is expected to last up to 6 months, with a potential for further post-excavation work on this project, and on other future potential projects.
• The ability to work as part of a happy and motivated team.
• Good communications skills.
• HND, foundation degree or degree in archaeology or a related subject, or equivalent experience.
• Membership of an appropriate professional body such as the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists at PCIFA grade or higher, or working towards this.
• Eligibility to work in the UK.
• Be fluent in spoken and written English.
• A valid CSCS card.
• A current driving license is preferred.
• Knowledge of archaeological recording systems.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
• Experience of commercial field archaeology and knowledge in one or more of the following areas: excavation, finds processing, or surveying techniques.
• Experience of Health and Safety requirements in a project environment.
• 24 days holiday per annum, pro rata.
• On the job training towards certificated courses (First Aid at Work, SSSTS, etc).
• Use of BAJR skills passport encouraged and provided if needed. (Potential for trainees available - contact us to discuss)
• PPE provided.
• Accommodation and subsistence for non-residents.
All sites are operating in accordance with Covid 19 Public Health guidelines.
Apply HERE: Field Archaeologists - Jobline Staffing