Salary commensurate with skills and experience
(£31,079 – £37,577)
Wessex Archaeology is one of the largest independent archaeological practices in the UK with offices in Salisbury, Sheffield, Maidstone, Bristol, Edinburgh and Welshpool.
Due to the continued expansion of our fieldwork programme and post-excavation operations, Wessex Archaeology is looking to appoint an experienced manager to join our company-wide reporting team. It is intended that the position will be based in our Salisbury office, but an option to be based in one of our regional offices could be available. A relocation package may also be available.
The successful applicant will manage the assessment, analysis, interpretation and reporting stages of projects, as part of a project team. The ability to lead a team, to work collegiately as part of a team, and to work independently will all be essential. The enthusiasm to assist in the development of other team members, to share knowledge, and to provide advice to members of the fieldwork teams as appropriate, will also be needed.
This is an excellent opportunity to join one of the UK’s leading research and publication teams. As part of this industry-leading department you will have the opportunity to work on a series of diverse and nationally significant projects, and to develop your project management and leadership skills.
This is a project management role with financial accountability and responsibility for the design, content and delivery of reports at all levels from evaluation to publication.
As a leading UK service provider, the projects will include large and complex programmes of work and therefore this position requires the following experience:
- a minimum of three years’ management experience in a commercial environment;
- educated to at least degree level in an appropriate subject;
- experience of MAPII and MoRPHE project management;
- experience of HE and CIfA standards and guidance;
- experience of project accounting, including preparing costs and budgets;
- a track record of research and publication.
The behavioural attributes that we expect from you are to:
- specialist knowledge and personal research interests;
- awareness of current trends in publication and the editorial process;
- experience of presenting research and results to varied audiences;
- experience of directing/managing commercial fieldwork;
- experience of maintaining successful client and stakeholder relationships;
- full UK Driving Licence;Membership of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists (MCIfA) and/or other appropriate professional body;
You will have an enthusiasm for influencing the development of the industry, and focus on the needs and concerns of the client to ensure consistent customer satisfaction, by providing high quality, commercial and professional advice.
- be visible and accountable;
- a good communicator and project team leader;
- be optimistic and a positive influence, inspiring creativeness and innovation in others;
- provide for the mentoring, coaching and training of your team;
- provide encouragement, recognition and reward when it is due;
- to be assured and confident in your work and personal interactions.
As part of your role you will be required to promote the positive culture of the business and to work with colleagues across all our departments and regional offices.
Applicants are invited to submit an application form (available from the vacancies page on our website http://www.wessexarch.co.uk/vacancies) with a copy of their CV; and returned by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the post please contact Dr Bob Clarke, Senior Research Manager (email@example.com).
Whilst Wessex Archaeology welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, it is essential that all applicants must be either a British citizen, EU National or hold a full work visa and where appropriate be registered under the ‘Worker Registration Scheme’, or must hold a current work permit. Proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK will be required prior to commencement of employment.