The Department of Culture and Tourism - Abu Dhabi regulates, develops and promotes the emirate of Abu Dhabi as an extraordinary global destination, rich in cultural authenticity, diverse natural offerings, world-class hospitality and unparalleled leisure and entertainment attractions for every type of traveller.
Our organisation strives to preserve and promote the emirate’s rich cultural and historic heritage. By sharing Abu Dhabi’s unique legacy through a wide-ranging programme of cultural events, exhibitions and museums, we aim to present the emirate as an international cultural destination.
The Culture Sector leverages the cultural heritage of Abu Dhabi to advance the emirate’s development as a world-class, sustainable destination of distinction. Our policies, plans and programmes are driven by our commitment to protecting the many archaeological and historical sites throughout the emirate, including our UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Seeking for an experienced Curator to carry out Curatorial activities such as selecting, researching, cataloguing, managing and exhibiting cultural, archaeological and ethnographic collections. Developing ways that artefacts and artworks are interpreted through exhibitions, audio-visual presentations, publications and online platforms. Drafting narratives and interpretation content for visitors to DCT museums, historic buildings and exhibition venues.
Reports & Database
- Work creatively with the Curatorial team on the development of DCT museums, historic buildings, archaeological and cultural sites.
- Conduct research, including research on DCT collections, for the purpose of selecting artefacts and images and developing historical narratives for DCT museums and other exhibition venues.
- Collaborate with other DCT departments including Historic Environments, Education, Exhibition Design and Marketing on the development of interpretation content (text and multimedia) for museums, exhibitions and online platforms.
- Support the Senior Curator or Head of Section to collaborate with external consultants including architectural, exhibition design and building conservation experts, on the development of DCT museums, historic buildings and exhibitions.
- Support the DCT Collections and Conservation Sections with ensuring the care of the collections and the development of the DCT collections database.
- Provide curatorial support or information as required for DCT acquisitions, loans, policies and strategic planning.
- Maintain project databases and records, ensuring up-to-date and accurate information for the development of DCT exhibitions and cultural projects.
- Provide research reports, interpretation briefs and other curatorial reports as required.
- Bachelor’s in Art, History, Archaeology or Museums or Heritage Studies or a related field.
- Master’s Degree in Art, History, Archaeology, Museums or Heritage Studies or a related field.
Bachelor Degree Holders: 5 to 8 years of experience in Curatorial work and/or research in a museum or for exhibitions.
Post Graduate Holders: 3 to 5 years of experience in Curatorial work and/or Museums or Heritage Studies
Key skills and competencies
- The role is a full-time permanent position based in Abu Dhabi (UAE).
- Working Days: Sunday to Thursday.
- Working Hours: 8 hours/per day.
- May require to travel within the Emirates based on the project location.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to organise, present and communicate messages effectively through design.
- Excellent project management and organisational skills.
- Knowledge in Art History and Museum Studies.
- Knowledge of working with museum databases and IT issues.
- Good teamworking skills.
- Excellent research and IT skills.
How to Apply
To apply for the role kindly send your updated Resume to the Talent Acquisition Specialist:
Thara Varughese: TVarughese@dctabudhabi.ae