PROJECT MANAGER (CONTRACTING)
Salary £30,600–£40,000 depending on experience
Hours: Full time, 37.5h/week
Locations Headland Midlands & West (Hereford), South & East (Silsoe) or North (Cleckheaton)
Contract Type: Permanent
Closing Date: 5pm on 30th September 2020. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we may fill existing vacancies before the closing date, so you are advised to submit your application as early as possible.
Why Should You Apply?
We are a privately owned archaeological business, part of the RSK Group, a leader in integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services. We provide heritage services to the development and construction sectors in UK and across the world. With four offices in England and one in Scotland, we offer our employees:
- Unique knowledge and expertise. For more than 20 years, Headland has provided not only business-focused archaeology but also people-focused business. We are highly respected within our industry for our achievements in innovation, tailor-made development coaching and training, and our expertise in commercial archaeology.
- Strong pioneering spirit. Our corporate culture is characterised by a healthy appetite for originality and development.
- Stable company with excellent growth. Over the years, we have demonstrated steady, positive economic development and formed successful partnerships.
- Good work environment. You will be surrounded by colleagues who are pleasant, professional, and enthusiastic about their work.
- Opportunity to influence. You get to work in an open climate, close to decision makers and with the possibility of making a difference.
- Part of RSK group. You will have further opportunities to become involved in nationally and internationally prominent projects with exciting prospects for career development. The group has c.3500 employees and c.80 environmentally lead companies.
We are looking for candidates who are self driven with a positive outlook and good understanding of British Archaeology. You will have experience of managing commercial field archaeology projects in Britain, will be able to sell our services to new clients and help develop existing commercial relationships. You will be a good team worker who can promote new ideas and new ways of working, and motivate your teams to deliver projects to programme and to budget.
The position will involve preparation of tenders and the running of both field and office-based projects. You will be expected to use your archaeological experience to advise clients and to support colleagues as projects progress.
As a commercial company there is plenty of scope to utilise existing skills, discover new ones and develop your strengths. You will encounter numerous opportunities for personal development and promotion. With a proactive post-excavation department we are producing a growing number of monographs and other peer reviewed publications every year; our dedicated training team (CIfA accredited) will help support your projects and RSK provides a wealth of opportunity to broaden the range and nature of the experience enjoyed by our staff.
You must have the following essential criteria:
A current CSCS card, a publication track-record and CIfA membership are desirable criteria. Experience in change management is a plus.
- A desire to lead, develop and learn
- Detailed experience and understanding of UK commercial archaeology and planning legislation
- Experience in the management of archaeological projects
- Full clean UK driving licence and willingness to drive company vehicles
- Willingness to travel and be responsible for managing projects across the UK
- Degree level education or higher in a relevant subject
- A demonstrable portfolio of reports
- Excellent organisational skills
- Experience in the production of tenders and PQQs
- Experience/understanding of project finances and reporting
- Use of Microsoft Office packages
- Ability to use own initiative to achieve targets
Benefits we offer you:
- Leadership and management training and workshops
- SMSTS training where required
- Constant H&S training
- 33 days annual leave, rising based on service length
- Extra annual leave purchase scheme
- 5%-6% employer contribution to pension scheme
- Annual profit discretionary bonus & performance-related bonus schemes
- Income Protection Policy, after a year with Headland
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice on finance, mental health etc)
- Paid CIfA membership, CSCS card
- Relocation package
- Monthly clothing allowance
- Health support scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Finder’s fee for new employees you introduce to us
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym membership, Holidays and Entertainment)
Your contractual place of work will be one of the locations listed above and you will be expected to report there in person when required for inductions/training/meetings/briefings etc. During the current COVID emergency most of our management team is currently working from home.
How to apply
You must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to your commencement.
Send CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference PM0820 Postal applications will not be accepted. Informal inquiries concerning the role can be made to Luke Craddock-Bennett (email@example.com).
If you do not meet all the essential criteria we may still consider you for this position but please could you let us know your willingness to be considered for a Senior Archaeologist role, working towards this position.
Headland is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
COVID19: We have wide-ranging COVID-19 plans in place and are following all current official guidance on maintaining a safe working environment during COVID19. We are in constant communication with our clients to ensure all staff can continue to work and operate safely while travelling and working on site and/or in the offices. All inductions include a comprehensive COVID19 brief, and all projects have a daily H&S COVID19 update.