Associate Director – Archaeology
Salary range: £32,000 - £37,000 per annum
Wardell Armstrong LLP is a successful multi-disciplinary environmental consultancy with 12 offices throughout the UK employing nearly 500 staff.
Our Archaeology & Heritage team has been providing expert archaeological and heritage services for over 25 years, with a focus on high quality and commercially aware advice to a wide range of clients throughout the UK. Our team is currently based across four of our offices in Bolton, Birmingham, Carlisle and Stoke and includes consultancy, fieldwork and post-excavation services plus publication and outreach.
Based in our Birmingham office, the successful candidate will be responsible for the day to day management and leadership of the Birmingham fieldwork team (8–10 archaeologists directly based in Birmingham), the preparation of tenders for local and national projects and contributing to the smooth and effective running of the Archaeology and Heritage Service Area. Reporting to the senior management team within the Birmingham office they will be a strong communicator with excellent writing skills.
We are keen to hear from candidates who are proactive and experienced archaeologists with a proven ability to liaise with clients, agree contract work terms and manage a field team with a range of experience.
The role would suit candidates who are currently Senior Project Officers or experienced Project Managers looking to take the next step in their career.
The successful candidate will require:
- Experience of fieldwork management.
- Ability to balance technical and commercial issues.
- Experience in Business Development of archaeology services.
- Knowledge of British archaeology.
- Knowledge and understanding of post-excavation procedures and practices.
- A degree in archaeology or a related discipline.
- A full clean driving licence.
- Eligibility to work in the UK.
- Be fluent in spoken and written English.
- Awareness of health and safety legislation and its application to archaeological projects.
Why choose Wardell Armstrong:
Wardell Armstrong is a people-focussed company, large enough to have strength in depth but also small enough to be sure of giving our clients close personal attention. Our Archaeology and Heritage team is passionate and ambitious. We can offer excellent experience, project ownership and a genuine chance to thrive and develop professionally.
- Membership of our Group Personal Pension Plan, with Employer's contribution of up to 5%.
- Payment of relevant professional subscriptions (CIfA or similar).
- Mobile phone with inclusive tariff including personal usage.
- Membership to our Private Health Care Scheme (BUPA).
- Critical Illness Cover.
- Inclusion in our Life Assurance Policy given as 3 times annual salary.
- 24 days annual leave per year and non-expiration TOIL accrual.
- Flexi-Time working schedule.
- Long service awards.
- Cycle-to-Work scheme.
- Travel loans.
- Support for personal, local and national charities and environmental causes.
Please direct any enquiries to Janine.firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website for further company information https://www.wardell-armstrong.com/careers and to apply