Project Archaeologists (£20,029 p.a.)
Trainee graduate posts available (starting rate £18,913) - BAJR Approved
Nottingham, Sheffield, York and Various locations
Founded in 1972, York Archaeological Trust has since 2011 incorporated both ArcHeritage (Sheffield), and Trent & Peak Archaeology (Nottingham); the latter being the oldest established archaeological unit in the East Midlands. YAT provides a unique and exciting employment opportunity, combining world famous heritage attractions such as Jorvik Viking Centre, with excavation, survey, consultancy, expert conservation services, research and an unmatched commitment to dissemination and public engagement.
YAT’s offices maintain a strong regional focus, with a particular emphasis on urban archaeology, industrial archaeology, built heritage, floodplain archaeology, geo-archaeology and the aggregates sector. In recent years, our commercial operations have greatly expanded into other sectors, including housing and infrastructure schemes.
We are looking for project archaeologists at all levels of field experience for a variety of sites across Yorkshire and the East Midlands. Full support and training, focussing on the Skills Passport, CPD log and tailored sessions will be given to graduate trainees (less than 6 months experience) to acquire the skills to progress.
What we offer:
- Immediate starts - 3 month initial contracts with strong possibility of extension.
- Company pension scheme, where both the Employee and Employer contribute.
- Annual leave entitlement on joining is 28 days including 8 bank holidays, rising to 33 days after 5 years of service.
- Annual Holiday purchase scheme, purchase up to 2 weeks additional holiday.
- Free Eye tests for VDU users.
- The Trust will contribute 50% of the cost of one subscription to an approved professional body (e.g. CIfA).
- Free access to our 5 York Attractions including the JORVIK Viking Centre for our employees, their families and friends, and 25% discount on retail goods and souvenirs.
- Discounts to Trust Events, at applicable events.
- PPE suitable to your role.
- Training opportunities appropriate to the role, including a Key Contact scheme.
- Transport to all sites will be provided for Project Archaeologists.
- Travel, subsistence and free accommodation provided for staff working away.
- Payment of CSCS test fee.
Application is by CV and covering letter. Jobs are presently available in York and Nottingham, so please state a preference if relevant. Job descriptions, person specs and details on the Trusts Recruitment, Rewards and Benefits are available at - https://www.yorkarchaeology.co.uk/jobs
Applications should be completed and returned to Alison Wilson (YAT/T&PA Post-Excavation Manager).
For an informal discussion please contact Olly Cooper (YAT/T&PA Project Manager) on (07432694173).
Closing date: midnight, 4th October