Magnitude Surveys is one of the largest providers of archaeological geophysical surveys in the UK. We design and build bespoke geophysical equipment and software to continually push the boundaries of non-intrusive archaeological investigations. We are currently working on a wide range of projects from major national infrastructure to small housing schemes across the UK.
Magnitude Surveys is seeking to recruit a geophysical researcher to assist in developing and streamlining the company’s bespoke systems and software. The successful candidate will report to the Director of Research and Development and work as part of a small research team. The position will be primarily office based with occasional field work.
You will join a team of 30 archaeological geophysics professionals, all of whom bring a unique set of skills to a highly collaborative, friendly work environment. General tasks will include:
- Equipment development and maintenance
- Data processing software development
- Image processing workflow development
- Machine based learning development
Research topics we are actively exploring at the moment include:
- Auto feature extraction
- Full extraction and utilisation of three-axis magnetometer components
- GNSS positioned Multi-Channel GPR data processing
- Improved data processing and data positioning algorithms through the incorporation of multi sensor data.
Upon familiarity with the company’s systems, software, and research objectives, the successful candidate will be able to suggest areas of investigation.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Degree in Archaeological Prospection or Geophysics and/or a solid understanding of the physics behind geophysical techniques and their application to new surface investigations.
- Creative thinker who is interested in developing new methods to process and interpret geophysical datasets (in particular magnetic and electromagnetic induction datasets).
- Experience of Python or similar programming languages is necessary.
- Experience of Unix command line environment.
Travel to site, accommodation and subsistence is paid for while away from the office. Full PPE will be provided, including Gore-Tex or equivalent waterproofs and safety boots.
- Employee perks package, including; Discounts at major retailers, Free coffee @ Cafe Nero, Free Cineworld cinema tickets.
- Companywide performance based bonus scheme.
Magnitude Surveys encourages and supports its staff professional development by funding conference attendance and presentation, as well as training workshops. CIfA membership and a current CSCS card are desirable, but not essential. Magnitude Surveys will support the successful candidate in obtaining both CIfA membership and a CSCS card if they do not have one.
The successful candidate will be automatically enrolled into the NEST workplace pension scheme with matched employer contributions of up to 6%. Magnitude Surveys offers 28 days holiday including bank holidays, in addition to any company shutdown days.
The closing date for application is December 11th; however, early application is advised as the post may be filled before closing date. Applicants should submit a covering letter and CV through our website. Interviews will be held online.
For further information about the position, please contact Finnegan Pope-Carter at email@example.com or 01274 926020.