ZOOARCHAEOLOGIST Based in Oxford
Salary range £24,871 - £30,302
Oxford Archaeology is one o f the largest independent archaeological practices in Europe. Our size and reputation ensure that we work on the most exciting and varied range of projects and can offer real opportunities for long term employment and career development.
T he position:
An opportunity has arisen at Oxford Archaeology South , based in Oxford. We intend to
appoint a Zooarchaeologist with proven experience in the relevant field to publication standard. The post-holder will undertake the assessment and analysis of faunal assemblages of all sizes and archaeological periods from OAs diverse and expanding work programme, leadin g to the production of technical reports as well as monograph and journal publications. Recent and ongoing projects include the excavation of medieval settlement activity in the grounds of an Oxford college, a prehistoric monumental landscape in Dorset an d a Roman roadside settlement in Somerset. The successful candidate will report directly to the Head of Environmental Archaeology.
This is a great opportunity to work on a range of exciting projects, further your career and be part of a dynamic and passionate team.
• Contribute to the intrusive archaeological investigations by cataloguing, assessing, analysing and reporting on relevant faunal assemblages.
• Demonstrable experience in the identification, analysis and reporting of animal bones from archaeological sites to publication standard.
• Support the OA South team in relevant aspects of conducting an investigation and provide on -site guidance and advice where appropriate on zooarchaeological issues.
• Carry out work practices in accordance with health and safety requirements.
• A good knowledge and understanding of British archaeology and the principles, practices, procedures and processes relevant to investigations.
• Ability to work as part of a team, with a flexible approach when working under pressure and to deadlines.
• A higher degree in archaeozoology, archaeological science or related discipline will be highly advantageous, as will experience of professional archaeological fieldwork within
the UK commercial environment.
• Fluen t in spoken and written English.
Applicants should be members, or eligible for membership, of the CIfA preferably at the
In return, we offer an exciting range of employee benefits:
• Competitive salary range (appointments will be made on the basis of demonstrated ability, previous experience and CIfA membership if appropriate).
• 35 days holiday (including statutory holidays and concessionary days at Christmas).
• Company pension scheme.
• Training including placements, and opportunities for career pro gression.
• 100% of CIfA subscription fees, up to ACIfA level (those at MCIfA level will receive the
equivalent of ACIfA level).
• Cycle to work scheme.
For further information about the role, please contact Dr Rebecca Nicholson (Environmental Manager) at the Oxford office on 01865 980724 or via email: email@example.com
If you would like to be part of a respected and established organisation, please apply by completing an application form, available from:
Alternatively, you can post your completed application form to: Human Resources
Janus House Osney Mead Oxford
Please enclose a CV and covering letter with your application. Closing Date: Sunday 31st January 2021.
Oxford Archaeology is an Equal Opportunities employer. All applications are judged on the relevant skills and experience of the candidate, and not by gender, sexual orientation, mar- ital status, religion, belief, age, nationality (other than where work permits may be re- quired), or ethnicity. You must meet the requirements to live and work in the UK by UK Vi- sas and Immigration.
Please note that we have stringent COVID-19 safety measures in place: All sites and offices have protocols for ensuring high levels of hygiene, strict social distancing rules are adhered to at all times including during travel to and from site, with extra welfare in place where needed.
Registered Charity No. 285627; Company R egistration No. 1618597