GIS OFFICER (CONTRACTING)
Salary: from £24,720 – £27,295 (depending on experience) + generous benefits package
Hours: Full time, 37.5h/week
Locations: Based in Headland Midlands & West (Hereford), South & East (Silsoe), Scotland (Edinburgh) or Yorkshire & North (Cleckheaton). Potential for other locations; home working expected during COVID-19 restrictions.
Contract Type: Permanent
Closing Date: 10am on 2nd March 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we may fill existing vacancies before the closing date, so you are advised to submit your application as early as possible.
Why Should You Apply?
We are a privately owned archaeological business, part of the RSK Group, a leader in integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services. We provide heritage services to the development and construction sectors in UK and across the world. With four offices in England and one in Scotland, we offer our employees:
- Unique knowledge and expertise. For more than 20 years, Headland has provided not only business-focused archaeology but also people-focused business. We are highly respected within our industry for our achievements in innovation, tailor-made development coaching and training, and our expertise in commercial archaeology.
- Strong pioneering spirit. Our corporate culture is characterised by a healthy appetite for originality and development.
- Stable company with excellent growth. Over the years, we have demonstrated steady, positive economic development and formed successful partnerships.
- Good work environment. You will be surrounded by colleagues who are pleasant, professional, and enthusiastic about their work.
- Opportunity to influence. You get to work in an open climate, close to decision makers and with the possibility of making a difference.
- Part of RSK group. You will have further opportunities to become involved in nationally and internationally prominent projects with exciting prospects for career development. The group has c.3500 employees and c.80 environmentally lead companies.
We are strengthening our GIS capabilities to provide better support to our contracting teams.
You will be self driven with a positive outlook. You will be experienced in GIS drawing production work and capable of working to a number of projects at the same time, often with fast turnaround times. You will be a good team worker who learns quickly, can promote new ideas and new ways of working, and help our team to deliver projects to programme and to budget.
You will be responsible for providing project design and working drawings to support our contracting team, as well as preparing field survey data for post-excavation work. This includes the application of procedures; training and support; data security and processing; quality assurance and data presentation. You will be expected to work as part of a small team of skilled technical staff and project-based assistants, and provide hands-on site support where extra resources are required. The work will be primarily office-based but may periodically require site-based work providing GIS services to larger projects or assisting other team members. Your work will be managed and supported by the Senior Surveyor and the Data and Technical Services Manager.
As a commercial company there is plenty of scope to use existing skills, discover new ones and develop your strengths. You will encounter numerous opportunities for personal development and promotion. With a proactive Data and Technical Services department we are developing our systems and capabilities constantly; our dedicated training team (CIfA accredited) will help support your work and RSK provides a wealth of opportunity to broaden the range and nature of the experience enjoyed by our staff.
You must meet the following essential criteria:
A Degree in a relevant subject and python programming, database management, surveying, photogrammetry or illustration experience are desirable criteria for the role. A valid CSCS card is a plus.
- Experience in producing high quality drawings quickly in QGIS
- A demonstrable portfolio of GIS work
- An interest in British archaeology and a desire to acquire relevant knowledge
- Attention to detail and ability to work to standards
- Experience with ArcGIS and CAD
- Ability to work under pressure and use your own initiative to achieve targets
- Good organisational skills
- Embrace inclusion and diversity
- Willingness to develop your people skills and attend mental health awareness course
- Experience of providing training, feedback and support
- Full clean UK driving licence and willingness to drive company vehicles
- Willingness to travel and work on projects across the UK periodically
- Advanced use of Microsoft Office packages, particularly Excel
Benefits we offer you:
- 28 days annual leave, rising based on service length
- Extra annual leave purchase scheme
- 5%-6% employer contribution to pension scheme
- Annual profit discretionary bonus and performance-related bonus schemes
- Time off in lieu, or pay for time worked above standard hours
- Monthly clothing allowance
- Paid subsistence when applicable
- Paid travel time when applicable
- Leadership and management training and workshops
- Paid SSSTS card where required
- Constant H&S training
- Income Protection Policy, after a year with Headland
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice on finance, mental health etc)
- Paid CIfA membership and CSCS card
- Health support scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Finder’s fee for new employees you introduce to us
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym membership discount, Holidays and Entertainment)
How to apply
You must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to your commencement.
Send CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting GISOC0221. Postal applications will not be accepted. Informal inquiries concerning the role can be made to Jürgen van Wessel (email@example.com).
Headland is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
COVID19: We have wide-ranging COVID-19 plans in place and are following all current official guidance on maintaining a safe working environment during COVID19. We are in constant communication with our clients to ensure all staff can continue to work and operate safely while travelling and working on site and/or in the offices. All inductions include a comprehensive COVID19 brief, and all projects have a daily H&S COVID19 update.