SENIOR ARCHAEOLOGIST (CONTRACTING)
Salary £28,325–£30,179 depending on experience
Hours: Full time, 37.5h/week
Locations Headland Midlands & West (Hereford), South & East (Silsoe) or Scotland (Edinburgh)
Contract Type: Permanent
Closing Date: 5pm on 5pm on 30th April 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we may fill existing vacancies before the closing date, so you are advised to submit your application as early as possible.
Why Should You Apply?
We are a privately owned archaeological business, part of the RSK Group, a leader in integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services. We provide heritage services to the development and construction sectors in UK and across the world. With four offices in England and one in Scotland, we offer our employees:
- Unique knowledge and expertise. For more than 20 years, Headland has provided not only business-focused archaeology but also people-focused business. We are highly respected within our industry for our achievements in innovation, tailor-made development coaching and training, and our expertise in commercial archaeology.
- Strong pioneering spirit. Our corporate culture is characterised by a healthy appetite for originality and development.
- Stable company with excellent growth. Over the years, we have demonstrated steady, positive economic development and formed successful partnerships.
- Good work environment. You will be surrounded by colleagues who are pleasant, professional, and enthusiastic about their work.
- Opportunity to influence. You get to work in an open climate, close to decision makers and with the possibility of making a difference.
- Part of RSK group. You will have further opportunities to become involved in nationally and internationally prominent projects with exciting prospects for career development. The group has c.3500 employees and c.80 environmentally lead companies.
We are looking for candidates who are self driven with a positive outlook and good understanding of British Archaeology. You will be very experienced in running archaeological sites and capable of overseeing a number of field and post excavation projects at the same time. You will be a good team worker who can promote new ideas and new ways of working, and motivate your teams to deliver projects to programme and to budget.
The position will involve the management of field teams on large-scale infrastructure projects and assisting the project management team with the preparation of tenders and the running of office-based projects. You will be expected to use your archaeological experience to advise clients and to support colleagues as projects progress.
As a commercial company there is plenty of scope to utilise existing skills, discover new ones and develop your strengths. You will encounter numerous opportunities for personal development and promotion. With a proactive post-excavation department we are producing a growing number of monographs and other peer reviewed publications every year; our dedicated training team (CIfA accredited) will help support your projects and RSK provides a wealth of opportunity to broaden the range and nature of the experience enjoyed by our staff.
You must have the following essential criteria:
A publication track-record, SSSTS/SMSTS and CIfA membership are desirable criteria.
- A minimum of 5 years experience in British commercial archaeology
- A desire to lead, develop and learn
- Experience in having sole responsibility for archaeological projects of significant scale including planning logistics and co-ordinating sub-contractors.
- Being able to support managers in their duties and assist with overseeing projects, producing paperwork and providing input to tenders
- Experience and understanding of UK commercial archaeology and planning legislation
- Full clean UK driving licence and willingness to drive company vehicles
- Willingness to travel and work on projects across the UK
- Degree level education or higher in a relevant subject
- A demonstrable portfolio of reports
- Excellent organisational skills
- Use of Microsoft Office packages
- Ability to use own initiative to achieve targets
- Valid CSCS card
Benefits we offer you:
- Leadership and management training and workshops
- SMSTS training where required
- Constant H&S training
- 28 days annual leave, rising based on service length
- Extra annual leave purchase scheme
- 5%-6% employer contribution to pension scheme
- Annual profit discretionary bonus & performance-related bonus schemes
- Income Protection Policy, after a year with Headland
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice on finance, mental health etc)
- Paid CIfA membership, CSCS card
- Relocation package
- Monthly clothing allowance
- Health support scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Finder’s fee for new employees you introduce to us
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym membership, Holidays and Entertainment)
How to apply
You must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to your commencement.
Send CV and covering letter to email@example.com quoting SAC1120 Postal applications will not be accepted. Informal inquiries concerning the role can be made to Luke Craddock-Bennett (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Headland is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
COVID19: We have wide-ranging COVID-19 plans in place and are following all current official guidance on maintaining a safe working environment during COVID19. We are in constant communication with our clients to ensure all staff can continue to work and operate safely while travelling and working on site and/or in the offices. All inductions include a comprehensive COVID19 brief, and all projects have a daily H&S COVID19 update.