ASSISTANT SURVEYORS (CONTRACTING)
Salary: £21,630 - £24,163 depending on experience + generous benefits package
Hours: Full time, 37.5h/week
Locations Based in Headland Midlands & West (Hereford), Scotland (Edinburgh), South & East (Silsoe) or Yorkshire & North (Cleckheaton).
Contract Type: fixed term – until December 17th 2021
Closing Date: 10am on 16th March 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we may fill existing vacancies before the closing date, so you are advised to submit your application as early as possible.
Why Should You Apply?
We are a privately owned archaeological business, part of the RSK Group, a leader in integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services. We provide heritage services to the development and construction sectors in UK and across the world. With four offices in England and one in Scotland, we offer our employees:
- Unique knowledge and expertise. For more than 20 years, Headland has provided not only business-focused archaeology but also people-focused business. We are highly respected within our industry for our achievements in innovation, tailor-made development coaching and training, and our expertise in commercial archaeology.
- Strong pioneering spirit. Our corporate culture is characterised by a healthy appetite for originality and development.
- Stable company with excellent growth. Over the years, we have demonstrated steady, positive economic development and formed successful partnerships.
- Good work environment. You will be surrounded by colleagues who are pleasant, professional, and enthusiastic about their work.
- Opportunity to influence. You get to work in an open climate, close to decision makers and with the possibility of making a difference.
- Part of RSK group. You will have further opportunities to become involved in nationally and internationally prominent projects with exciting prospects for career development. The group has c.3500 employees and c.80 environmentally lead companies.
We have a busy fieldwork schedule and are seeking keen people with site surveying experience to help us deliver our projects. We are looking to recruit experienced, dedicated, results-driven individuals, available to start immediately. Ideally you would have reasonable experience in British commercial archaeology, or relevant European commercial experience.
Your work will primarily involve GPS and total station survey of archaeological sites, including staking out and detailed survey of archaeological remains. You will be expected to work directly with field teams on project work, but will be supported by experienced surveyors in our Data and Technical Services team. Experience of survey data processing, QGIS and photogrammetry will be valuable.
You may also be asked to undertake other archaeological fieldwork, so site experience is beneficial. This work will primarily involve conducting a range of archaeological investigations, evaluations/excavations and supervising plant, as well as office-based research, analysis, and reporting.
As part of the contracting team you will get involved in several large and exciting projects across the country. We have interesting projects including waterlogged medieval and Roman urban excavations, IA/RB agricultural and industrial landscapes on linear schemes. Working away and travelling in new places is a normal part of this role.
Our most recent works; which include well preserved IA/RB and Saxon landscapes, medieval and Post-medieval industrial sites in eastern England, prehistoric landscapes on the southern chalklands, industrial archaeology in Birmingham; illustrate the wide range of projects we have been commissioned to deliver.
In Headland we are proud of our people. We will support you to your meet your goals and train you in specific archaeological and other skills to feel confident and succeed in your role.
You must meet the following essential criteria:
- 2 years experience in commercial archaeology (equivalent technical or related experience considered)
- Experience with GPS and/or total station surveying – Trimble preferred but training will be provided
- Examples of previous metric survey work
- Ability to carry out prolonged manual work in an outdoor environment in all weather
- Full clean UK driving licence and willingness to drive company vehicles
- Up to date CSCS card (Academically Qualified Person or Professionally Qualified Person) or you must acquire one
- Willingness to travel and work on projects across the UK
- Advanced use of Microsoft Office packages, particularly Excel
- Attention to detail and a track record of bringing projects to completion
- Good organisational & communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and use your own initiative
- Embrace inclusion and diversity as a leader
- Willingness to develop your people skills and attend mental health awareness course
- Substantial knowledge of English language
A Degree in Archaeology, or in a relevant subject, and QGIS, CAD and photogrammetry experience are desirable criteria for the role. A SSSTS card, First Aid training and CIfA membership is a plus.
Benefits we offer you:
- Loyalty bonus £500 for 6 months
- Resettlement scheme up to £500, subject to eligibility
- Monthly clothing allowance
- Paid accommodation when applicable
- Paid subsistence when applicable
- Paid travel time when applicable
- 28 days annual leave, rising based on service length
- Extra annual leave purchase scheme
- 5%-6% employer contribution to pension scheme
- Annual profit discretionary bonus and performance-related bonus schemes
- Time off in lieu, or pay for time worked above standard hours
- Leadership and management training and workshops
- Paid SSSTS card where required
- Constant H&S training
- Income Protection Policy, after a year with Headland
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice on finance, mental health etc)
- Paid CIfA membership and CSCS card
- Health support scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Finder’s fee for new employees you introduce to us
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym membership discount, Holidays and Entertainment)
How to apply
You must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to your commencement.
Send CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting SUTC0221. Postal applications will not be accepted. Informal inquiries concerning the role can be made to Jürgen van Wessel (email@example.com).
Headland is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
COVID19: We have wide-ranging COVID-19 plans in place and are following all current official guidance on maintaining a safe working environment during COVID19. We are in constant communication with our clients to ensure all staff can continue to work and operate safely while travelling and working on site and/or in the offices. All inductions include a comprehensive COVID19 brief, and all projects have a daily H&S COVID19 update.