Before you apply for a post, and sign any contract, read this CIfA and PROSPECT approved guide to applying for jobs. What questions to ask, what to expect and what to watch out for. BAJR Guide 54: Applying for a Job in Archaeology
Senior Archaeologist (Supervisor) Our Archaeology and Heritage services team is based across 6 of Wardell Armstrong’s 13 offices; Bolton, Birmingham, Bury St Edmunds, Carlisle, London and Stoke. Our post-ex hubs in Carlisle and Bury St Edmunds are home to our purpose-built facilities, which provide finds analysis, palaeoenvironmental processing and analysis, post-excavation analysis, publication, and outreach. We are passionate and ambitious. We can offer excellent experience, project ownership and a genuine chance to thrive and develop professionally.
We have site work beginning soon in the following locations:
· Berwick – Excavation of an archaeologically rich site, potentially Roman or Iron Age stone-built settlement. Beautiful location beside the sea. (12 weeks minimum)
· Dundee – Excavation surrounded by several scheduled ancient monuments, the geophysics showed a high-density of archaeological features, including probable prehistoric structural remains, and a possible Roman fort (8 weeks minimum)
Our UK wide team work closely together, often collaborating across projects to offer a total suite of fieldwork services from initial non-invasive surveys such as field walking, geophysical survey, ground modelling, interpretation of LIDAR, topographic surveys and historic building analysis and recording to archaeological invasive investigations including trial trenching, strip, map and record, excavation, watching briefs and all of the associated post-excavation processes.
This vacancy is for a field archaeologist specifically. Our Senior Archaeologists undertake fieldwork on projects of all scales, either working independently on smaller jobs (e.g. Watching Brief) or leading a small team (e.g. for a small-scale trial-trenching job), reporting directly to the Project Manager. You may also support larger scale works leading a smaller team within wider delivery, reporting to the Project Lead and taking direction from them. Our ideal candidate would have experience of work at this level.
Our Senior Archaeologists support us with writing up reports, completing smaller scale reports (with support from our wider team), and making significant contribution to larger scale reporting. To this end you should have or be willing to develop your report writing skills, working understanding of Harris Matrix software, and the ability to interpret your findings on site.
You should be an excellent communicator, able to support both new and more experienced members of our field team. You should be confident in your recording skills on site, and ideally have experience of working in both paper-based, and digital recording systems. Knowledge of GIS recording and use GPS equipment is desirable.
Ideally you have:
- Practical experience supervising work on site (6 months).
- Comprehensive awareness of Risk Assessment and keeping your team safe on site.
- Experience delivering commercial archaeology.
- A degree in Archaeology (combined honours acceptable) or equivalent experience.
- White CSCS card (either AQP or PQP)
- Driving license.
- CIfA Membership at PCIfA of ACIfA level.
- SSSTS Qualification
- Accommodation, transport, and a generous subsistence allowance when working away from home - including for Casual Staff.
- Membership of our Group Personal Pension Plan, with Employer's contribution of up to 5%.
- Payment of relevant professional subscriptions (CIfA or similar).
- Recruitment bounty scheme.
- Mobile phone with inclusive tariff including personal usage.
- Corporate and Social Responsibility (CSR) office-based teams.
- Membership to our Private Health Care Scheme (BUPA).
- Employee Assistance Programme: Wellbeing and Mental Health
- Critical Illness Cover
- Inclusion in our Life Assurance Policy given as 3 times annual salary.
- 24 days annual leave per year and non-expiration TOIL accrual
- Flexitime working schedule.
- Long service awards.
- Cycle-to-Work scheme.
- Travel loans.
- Support for personal, local, and national charities and environmental causes.
Go to the careers website: https://www.linkedin.com/careersite/wardell-armstrong and search for 'Senior Archaeologist'