Before you apply for a post, and sign any contract, read this CIfA and PROSPECT approved guide to applying for jobs. What questions to ask, what to expect and what to watch out for. BAJR Guide 54: Applying for a Job in Archaeology
Permanent positions based in Carlisle (Casual opportunities are available on a project-specific basis please enquire)
Our Archaeology and Heritage services team is based across 6 of Wardell Armstrong’s 14 offices; Bolton, Birmingham, Bury St Edmunds, Carlisle, London and Stoke. Our post-ex hubs in Carlisle and Bury St Edmunds are home to our purpose-built facilities, which provide finds analysis, palaeoenvironmental processing and analysis, post-excavation analysis, publication, and outreach. We are passionate and ambitious. We can offer excellent experience, project ownership and a genuine chance to thrive and develop professionally.
We are looking for field archaeologists to support the delivery of our current and upcoming projects. Ideally, we seek archaeologists with 6 months of site experience in a commercial environment, but we will consider applicants with equivalent alternative experience and or qualification.
We have site work beginning soon in the following locations:
· Berwick – Excavation of an archaeologically rich site, potentially Roman or Iron Age stone-built settlement. Beautiful location beside the sea. (12 weeks minimum)
· Dundee – Excavation surrounded by several scheduled ancient monuments, the geophysics showed a high-density of archaeological features, including probable prehistoric structural remains, and a possible Roman fort (8 weeks minimum)
Our UK wide team work closely together, often collaborating across projects to offer a total suite of fieldwork services from initial non-invasive surveys such as field walking, geophysical survey, ground modelling, interpretation of LIDAR, topographic surveys and historic building analysis and recording to archaeological invasive investigations including trial trenching, strip, map and record, excavation, watching briefs and all of the associated post-excavation processes.
You will work as part of a wider team, and you could be based on smaller sites, or on large scale infrastructure sites. The work will include working on evaluation, excavation, and geophysics. You should understand field recording systems, paper-based is essential but experience with digital recording systems is desirable.
You will have an opportunity to develop your skills, and we encourage involvement for all our staff in collating data for reporting, starting your report writing journey. Occasionally you may be required to support our post-excavation processing of palaeoenvironmental samples, or finds within our purpose-built facility, under the supervision of specialists in their field.
You will be passionate, hardworking, and ready to communicate with your supervisors and project managers, who value your input. We will support you to achieve CIfA Membership and develop your skill set.
Ideally you have:
- Practical experience on site (6months).
- A degree in archaeology (combined honours is acceptable) or equivalent experience.
- White CSCS card (either AQP or PQP)
- Driving license.
· CIfA membership at PCIfA level.
We offer our permanent staff:
- Accommodation, transport, and a generous subsistence allowance when working away from home - including for Casual Staff.
- Membership of our Group Personal Pension Plan, with Employer's contribution of up to 5%.
- Payment of relevant professional subscriptions (CIfA or similar).
- Recruitment bounty scheme.
- Mobile phone with inclusive tariff including personal usage.
- Corporate and Social Responsibility (CSR) office-based teams.
- Membership to our Private Health Care Scheme (BUPA).
- Employee Assistance Programme: Wellbeing and Mental Health
- Critical Illness Cover
- Inclusion in our Life Assurance Policy given as 3 times annual salary.
- 24 days annual leave per year and non-expiration TOIL accrual
- Flexitime working schedule.
- Long service awards.
- Cycle-to-Work scheme.
- Travel loans.
- Support for personal, local, and national charities and environmental causes.
Go to the careers website: https://www.linkedin.com/careersite/wardell-armstrong and search for 'Archaeologist'