Before you apply for a post, and sign any contract, read this CIfA and PROSPECT approved guide to applying for jobs. What questions to ask, what to expect and what to watch out for. BAJR Guide 54: Applying for a Job in Archaeology
Senior Post-Excavation Supervisor -
£24,910 - £27,401 (including 6% employer pension contribution)
£23,500 - £25,850 (plus 6% employer pension contribution)
L – P : Archaeology are looking to recruit a Senior Post-Excavation Supervisor. Joining L – P 's Post-Excavation team based at our East of England Office and reporting to the Post-Excavation Manager, this position is perfect to further your career in post-excavation.
For this position we are looking for someone with supervisory experience in a post-excavation setting. At L – P : Archaeology all roles are broad, allowing individuals to experience and achieve a wider range of tasks and skills. You will be supported by L – P : Archaeology to explore a specialism or improve on an existing one. This position is for an immediate start on a six month fixed term contract with the potential for extension.
Please state in the subject header which position you are applying for. Applications must be received by 5pm on 30th April 2021. Early applications are encouraged. We reserve the right to make an appointment before the closing date, therefore interview dates are yet to be confirmed.
Two documents are required to support your application; a personal statement and your CV. Applications are to be submitted by email to email@example.com. Your personal statement must address each point of the ‘Candidate Profile’ (see below) and briefly explain why you are well suited for this opportunity.
Our ideal candidate(s) will aim to meet two sets of criteria; essential and desired. You must address each point succinctly in your personal statement. Due to the nature of this advert, applicants are still encouraged to apply even if there are some elements within these criteria that they do not yet meet.
- Undergraduate degree in Archaeology or a related discipline
- Previous experience supervising in a commercial post-excavation setting, including co-ordinating a team and liaising with specialists.
- Willingness to be trained in new areas of work and in the L-P methods and procedures
- Ability to implement company strategy and policies (Health & Safety, CIfA standards etc)
- Active in pursuing Continuing Professional Development
- Live within a commutable distance of Bishop's Stortford
- Background in post-excavation procedures
- Enthusiasm for recording, analysis and understanding of material
- Genuine interest and understanding of post-excavation tasks and the bigger picture
- A Master’s degree (or equivalent experience) in a specific artefact specialism
- Previous experience of specialist assessment and reporting in a commercial setting (please include relevant recent supporting documentation)
- Valid driver’s licence
- Possession of a valid CSCS card or equivalent*
- Professional grade membership of the CIfA*
* If they do not hold this item, the successful candidate may be required to obtain these memberships. This will be at the company’s expense and with the company’s support.
Working arrangements and entitlements:
- 37.5 hour standard working week
- 29 days of annual leave (inclusive of bank holidays)
- sick leave on an initial accrual of one day per month for a six month qualifying period, and thereafter one month sick pay allowance as per CIfA minima
- 6% pension contributions, as per CIfA minima
- relevant PPE (in line with all current industry and government advice) will be provided to the successful applicant
Working for LP:
L – P : Archaeology is a commercial archaeological unit with offices in London, Bristol, Chester, and Bishop’s Stortford. This opportunity has become available due to the success and expansion of the Post-Excavation Department based in Bishop’s Stortford. The company is a partnership, with a growing number of permanent employees. L – P has won awards for its archaeological practice, and it is a CIfA registered organisation. As a CIfA registered organisation, L – P comply with their minima for annual leave, sick leave, pensions, subsistence, accommodation and travel expenses. We work largely in the commercial sector, although we are involved in a variety of archaeological research projects, and have a strong Digital Archaeology team.
The L – P ethos is that staff should be upskilled wherever possible. As such we provide our employees with support and active encouragement with regards to training and their continuing professional development.
L – P : Archaeology has committed to becoming carbon neutral, we will be working towards reducing our carbon footprint and we are making annual donations to carbon offsetting projects.
- 100 % CIfA subscription fees
- Support for training and CPD
- 6% Employer pension contribution
- High quality PPE
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Mates in Mind: Mental health support
- CharlieHR Perks at Work: Retail discounts and offers for employees