Before you apply for a post, and sign any contract, read this CIfA and PROSPECT approved guide to applying for jobs. What questions to ask, what to expect and what to watch out for. BAJR Guide 54: Applying for a Job in Archaeology
Post-Excavation Technicians: London and Edinburgh
Salary range £20,570 to £24,250 (depending on experience and location)
12 month fixed term contract
AOC is one of the leading, and fastest growing, heritage companies in the UK. We pride ourselves on our commitment to working on interesting and ground-breaking projects, and we are proud of our highly skilled, dynamic staff. We offer a full range of fieldwork, consultancy, survey, post-excavation and public archaeology services and have one of Britain’s largest and most experienced team of artefact, ecofact and conservation specialists. We are a CIfA Registered Organisation with ISO 9001:2015 certification. We actively encourage our team members to grow their skillsets during their time at AOC, with their ambitions matching ours.
This is an excellent opportunity to further your career in archaeological post-excavation. Based in either our London or Edinburgh Office and with an immediate start date, you will work with the AOC post-excavation team and archaeological Project Managers across our UK network of offices.
You will have a willingness to take on varied duties in line with our post-excavation programmes. Core tasks will include processing of finds and environmental samples, creation and management of finds and environmental inventories, document scanning and record checking, finds packing (in accordance with museum guidelines and standards), finds tracking to and from specialists and repositories, assisting in the preparation of archives and maintenance and care of processing areas and equipment.
Aspects of the work may be physically demanding.
You will be based in either our London or Edinburgh office, but you may be required to travel to locations across the UK and to stay overnight.
- A positive and enthusiastic professional interested in an exciting career opportunity with a forward-thinking company.
- Enjoy being part of a team that is central to the future growth and success of an organisation.
- A graduate in Archaeology or a related discipline.
- A track-record of working with archaeological samples and objects and an interest in post-excavation.
- A full UK driving license is essential.
- CIfA membership is desirable.
- A background in commercial archaeology would be beneficial.
- Competitive salary, under constant review and always current with CIFA recommendations; appointments will be made on the basis of demonstrated ability, previous experience.
- Ring-fenced Annual Bonus Scheme.
- 28 days annual leave (including bank holidays).
- Company pension scheme.
- Accommodation and subsistence (compliant with all current industry and Govt advice) will be provided if working away from home including weekend accommodation when required.
- Training budget and time allowance to attend conferences.
- Clear and transparent job progression using AOC’s bespoke Job Aspiration Matrix.
- Employee Assistance Programmes including Occupational Health support.
- Support for research.
- Paid CIFA membership.
- Flexible working.
- TOIL and sickness benefits.
Applications via CV and cover letter should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to state which office (London or Edinburgh) you would like to be based out of. We will be reviewing applications on receipt and if suitable candidates apply we will be appointing immediately. The overall closing date for applications is 30th of September. If you would like any further information on this post, please contact Mara on 07736957426 for an informal discussion. Your enquiry will be treated in confidence.
Two references will be required. Referees will not be approached without the candidate’s permission.
AOC Archaeology Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer.