Before you apply for a post, and sign any contract, read this CIfA and PROSPECT approved guide to applying for jobs. What questions to ask, what to expect and what to watch out for. BAJR Guide 54: Applying for a Job in Archaeology
Salary: from £20,200
Hours: Full time, 37.5h/week
Locations: Sites across the UK including Swindon, Norfolk, Suffolk, Kent
Contract Type: Flexible contract lengths (minimum of 4 weeks)
Closing Date: 30th September 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we may fill existing vacancies before the closing date, so you are advised to submit your application as early as possible.
Are you fascinated in the past and looking for a career in commercial archaeology? Do you want to be part of big infrastructure schemes and work on interesting projects?
If you are an Under-graduate Archaeologist and you are looking to expand your knowledge in archaeology and develop your skills, we have an excellent training programme where you will be part of a team who delivers high quality archaeological work.
The traineeship scheme offers you structured mandatory and optional modules along with dedicated support from our L&D department.
Why Should You Apply?
We are a privately owned archaeological business, part of the RSK Group, a leader in integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services. We provide heritage services to the development and construction sectors in UK and across the world. With four offices in England and one in Scotland, we offer our employees:
- Unique knowledge and expertise. For more than 20 years, Headland has provided not only business-focused archaeology but also people-focused business. We are highly respected within our industry for our achievements in innovation, tailor-made development coaching and training, and our expertise in commercial archaeology.
- Strong pioneering spirit. Our corporate culture is characterised by a healthy appetite for originality and development.
- Stable company with excellent growth. Over the years, we have demonstrated steady, positive economic development and formed successful partnerships.
- Good work environment. You will be surrounded by colleagues who are pleasant, professional, and enthusiastic about their work.
- Opportunity to influence. You get to work in an open climate, close to decision makers and with the possibility of making a difference.
- Part of RSK group. You will have further opportunities to become involved in nationally and internationally prominent projects with exciting prospects for career development. The group has c.6000 employees and c.105 environmentally lead companies.
We are looking to recruit up to 10 Under-Graduate Archaeologists, committed, results-driven individuals, available to start our training programme immediately.
The posts are predominantly field-based involving the hand excavation, sampling and recording of archaeological features; some lab-based work may also be available. You will benefit from using the extensive resources available through our training scheme alongside support from other site staff to help develop your early career.
The nature of projects we are either currently working on or have in the pipeline mean there are opportunities to gain experience across a wide range of periods and types of sites in a short period. These include waterlogged medieval and Roman urban excavations, IA/RB agricultural and industrial landscapes, possible palaeolithic sites, and prehistoric landscapes in Wiltshire including the environs of sites of international significance. We even have sites in the northern isles.
Working away and travelling to new places is a normal part of this role.
In Headland we are proud of our people. We will support you to your meet your goals and throughout the three-month basic training programme.
Skills and Qualities:
- Currently pursuing a Degree in Archaeology, or in a relevant subject
- Valid CSCS card
- Willing to work outdoors in all weather
- A “Can do” attitude and willingness to learn
- Good organisational & communication skills
- High level of use of English language
Benefits we offer you:
- Student Membership of CIfA
- Full Driving license and willingness to drive company vehicles
- Knowledge of MS Office
- 24/7 Accommodation
- Paid expenses
- Paid subsistence
- Paid travel time when applicable
- Loyalty bonus £250 for 3 months
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym membership, Holidays and Entertainment)
- Time off in lieu or you will be paid for time worked above standard hours
- Monthly clothing allowance
- 28 days annual leave, rising based on service length
- Up to 6% employer contribution to pension scheme
- Income Protection Policy, after a year with Headland
- Health support scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice on finance, mental health etc)
- Paid CIfA membership and CSCS card (we will pay for cost of successful test and card on production of a receipt)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Extra annual leave purchase scheme
How to apply
You must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to your commencement.
Send CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference UGR21. Postal applications will not be accepted. For queries regarding the role, and the trainee programme, email email@example.com.
Headland is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
COVID19: We have wide-ranging COVID-19 plans in place and are following all current official guidance on maintaining a safe working environment during COVID19. We are in constant communication with our clients to ensure all staff can continue to work and operate safely while travelling and working on site and/or in the offices. All inductions include a comprehensive COVID19 brief, and all projects have a daily H&S COVID19 update.